hood pad silver vinyl material 365GT 2+2, etc.

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

hestech

hood pad silver vinyl material 365GT 2+2, etc.

Post by hestech »

Does anyone know of a source for the silver vinyl hood pad material (appears to be about 10 mils), or something close enough to use. Just looking for the vinyl part, not the insulation or backing (that's easy - and out of sight). I'll do the quilting.

Thanks, Ron
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Ron,

That's one of those materials that I've been trying to locate without much success. The black materal used on 250s can probably be had from a vinyl roof supplier. Perhaps Michael Greenspan's supplier who may be able to supply the mylar seat trim has some.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

I have been talking to SMS Auto Fabrics in Portland Oregon. I sent them a jpg of the trim and they sent a sample of a chromed mylar fabric that is sort of the inverse of what is used to trim the lower outside seat. When I return to New York I am planning to send them a real sample of the fabric to see how close we can get. They claim to have it all. I would look at their web site www.smsautofabrics.com and talk to them at (503) 234-1175 but I think that the ultimate answer will only come when you send them a sample rather than a jpg since photos lie. Best of luck. Michael
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

if memory serves, about 4 years ago you could get it from re-originals. no more?

also, just for fun, who knows when Ferrari applied this liner on the diagonal instead of on the orthagonal? on 365 gt 2+2s it changed sometime during production . . .
Joel Benatar

Post by Joel Benatar »

Hi
When I redid my 330 GTC's engine compartment i manged to get the hood liner from Lyle Tanner. He had advertised the Daytona Hood Pad which is the same color. I contacted him and he got a plain liner that I had to get the diagonal stiching done to it. Also by the way the actual product came from a company in Texas. Hope this is some help
Joel

http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/specials.htm
tyang

Post by tyang »

Be aware that Lyle Tanner (Ferrari Parts Exchange) may be going through some "financial restructuring," and until we can be sure that it is safe to get orders filled, you may consider another source. If someone from Ferrari Parts Exchange would like to answer to the rumors, I welcome it!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I believe that Reoriginals has it for $110 a meter. I assume you'd need two meters. It is unsewn, and includes the "fiberglass" batting on the backside.
JimB

Hood pad

Post by JimB »

I got my hood pad from Maranello Auto Parts. I have a 330gt. I would try them before making your own. The material,padding and stitching all look very correct and it was fairly inexpensive.

Jim Burnett
Mike G.

Post by Mike G. »

I also purchased a silver hood pad for my Daytona from T.Rutland/Maranello Auto Parts in Atlanta. I haven't installed it yet, but it is highly accurate by all accounts and was much less expensive than ReOriginals or anywhere else.

I've purchased a ton of parts from Ted Rutland (who runs T. Rutland and Maranello Auto Parts along with Bill Rudd) and have spent hours wandered his warehouse in Atlanta. Ted has been a great resource not only for parts but also for other suppliers/restorers. He has great contacts with the original craftsmen in Italy and can find just about anything you need.

Mike Gilfillan
Restoring a Daytona in Atlanta
Restoring a Ferrari is like being married to a red head -- sometimes its a hassle and sometimes it just feels good.
Tspringer

Post by Tspringer »

Mike,

Send me an email if you get a chance with your number. I want to try and figure out a time to come see your Daytona project, and we can cruise mine around some. I know how a big project is... a good "fix" of V12 will no doubt push you along!

terrycspringer@yahoo.com

Terry
Yale

Post by Yale »

Armed with a swatch of the hood pad material Michael Greenspan got from SMS Auto Fabrics, I went with Francois today to a garage that has quite a few Ferrari's in it. The swatch Michael got was a silver plastic material heat bonded in a diamond pattern with some sort of insulation in-between the two layers. Francois remembered that some cars had this sort of heat bonding so we went to the garage to check out hood pads. The GTE we saw had a thick black material, sewn. The 330 GTC was the same as this SMS material sewn though and the Daytona was a heat bonded silver plastic that was thicker and shinier then the 330 material. The 330 hood pad material is pretty nasty looking, too bad Ferrari didn't stay with the black stuff that was on the GTE's. Just thought you'd want to know. By the way the material Michael got was something like $70 a square yard!

Best,

Yale
rock

Post by rock »

Hello Ron, I have some of that material if your interested. I have several yards available. I can be reached at 416 686 8700

Rocco