330GT 2+2 power steering problem

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jimmyr

330GT 2+2 power steering problem

Post by Jimmyr »

The power steering on our late 330GT2+2, series II works great at first start up, and also for few hundred yards driving. After that it looses it's power assistance. Belts are tight, no leaks, fluid is new. Just wondering if there is any other service needed like bleeding, etc.?
DWR46

Re: 330GT 2+2 power steering problem

Post by DWR46 »

Jim: Most power steering pumps are self bleeding, but you should start the engine and cycle the steering from stop-to-stop a few times to make sure it is completely bled.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Dyke, Yes we did that cycle to bleed it, but I was wondering if there was something else that would make it quit? It works well for just a short time then stops working. No noise or anything. Think it still is an air problem? thanks
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

I would suggest taking a look at the pressure relief valve. If it sticking open you will lose power assist.

Cheers Jim
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Jim, where would I locate the valve in the system, and is it serviceable? Power steering is a little rare on these early cars so I have not worked with them in the past. thanks, Jim
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I can't imagine my stupid error would happen to anyone else, and it was a 'Vette, not a Ferrari, but after replacing the pump, filling the reservoir and then moving the steering wheel lock to lock, the reservoir was low. Added PS fluid and bingo, good to this day. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

Jim

I have not had one apart, but the system has to have one otherwise it would damage the lines and seals. It will be in the pump body on the high pressure discharge side. The return for the relieve valve will dump the oil back into the reservoir. If you Google a common American style pump you will see how they are made. They are pretty simple other than getting the pulley off.

Cheers Jim