330Jim

Re: Ignition system

Post by 330Jim »

They look great.

Cheers Jim
tyang

Post by tyang »

Great Job Clint. At least you'll have something to show for your time social distancing! It's better than sitting on the couch watching Netflix!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
BobA

Post by BobA »

I know the early GTE's used a Coil with a Capacitor (or resistor) soldered directly to two different posts than the power wires. Does anyone know
when this change came about?
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

On some vehicles that a radio was added by the dealer, they installed a capacitor on the coil to reduce radio interference especially on the AM and SW broadcast bands. This may be the item you mentioned. This practice was done on 330, 250 and earlier vehicles that a radio was added.
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Jim: I think the gentleman is talking about the "tootsie roll" coils. He is correct, in that they stopped being used during the time at the end of PF Coupe production and the beginning of 2+2 production, but as to exact chassis numbers I could not say.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Yes the round tube resistors, but he mentioned capacitors thus the capacitor answer in case it was there. Glad to see continued interest in questions for the "early" cars.
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... I see you decided to stay with the Marelli coils. Any particular reason?
Also, the white GTE Tom has been working on has Bosch blue coils. Oh the shame. The value of the car has been cut in half. This car should never be allowed on the show field. How could someone commit such a travesty. Runs better though, doesn't it. I tried some generic 12v 3 ohm coils on my car and it was a definite improvement. I've got a pair of Bosch blues that I intend to fit to my car. I'll probably paint them red so as to avoid the crowds armed with torches, pitchforks, and sharp pointy sticks.
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic
tyang

Post by tyang »

tim wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:26 am Greetings... I see you decided to stay with the Marelli coils. Any particular reason?
Also, the white GTE Tom has been working on has Bosch blue coils. Oh the shame. The value of the car has been cut in half. This car should never be allowed on the show field. How could someone commit such a travesty. Runs better though, doesn't it. I tried some generic 12v 3 ohm coils on my car and it was a definite improvement. I've got a pair of Bosch blues that I intend to fit to my car. I'll probably paint them red so as to avoid the crowds armed with torches, pitchforks, and sharp pointy sticks.
I am not against using modern equipment on a car for better performance, and Tom Wilson, who owns the white GTE can certainly paint them to hide their originality. It's not the pitchforks I worry about, but it's nice to have an Vintage Ferrari look like a Vintage Ferrari.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tim

Post by tim »

Greetings... OK Tom, maybe I was a little overly sarcastic but you know the originality police are out there. As I've said before, my least favorite word when dealing with my cars, be it Ferrari, Morgan, or Turner, is "Correct". I agree with you about things that may improve performance or reliability that don't detract from the "Ferrari-ness" . I will be using Bosch blue coils (maybe painted orangish redish brownish if I can find the "correct" color, I find the red recommended is too red), Aeroquip heater hoses and a bottom radiator hose I've pieced together that be much more reliable than original.

The correct Tim
1964 330GT 5769 -the big yellow taxi 61&66 Morgan +4's Daimler SP250 Turner 950S and some other dull stuff plus a brand Mercedes C300 4matic