Removing knock off spinners.....

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Removing knock off spinners.....

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I have always done this with the car on the ground. Wheels chocked. But recently was told to do this with the car in the air, and I assume, a helper standing on the brakes. Comments? thanx. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DWR46

Re: Removing knock off spinners.....

Post by DWR46 »

Steve: I responded to your question on Ferrari Chat.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Dyke, thanx for taking a "crack " at my question. I too will respond on F-chat. Regard, s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
tyang

Post by tyang »

For those who spend litte time on F-chat,...hitting the knock off while the car is on the ground lessens the stress on the bearings on a Ferrari. Other cars have different techniques, but this is the right way for a Ferrari.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx Tom, to me, it does intuitively seem like hitting the KO on the ground would lessen the stress or impact on the bearing. It will certainly lessen the stress on my marriage...won't need to have my wife up in the car holding the brake pedal down! Thanx again. steve
steve meltzer,
TdF

Post by TdF »

There are now available knock off removal tools available that do not require using a mallet.
This will preserve the chrome finish and edges. Best is no risk to ding a spoke. They engage the
ears and attach to a long lever.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx TdF...i have sucha "socket: a big truck axle one with a 3/4 ratchet and welded 6" extension. when wedded to a long pipe as a " cheater", you must really apply duct tape to both the socket and the ears to prevent the socket from digging into the ears....no matter how you slice it, there's some risk. All of the 4 pros I know use a mallet. thanx. steve
(I think i still like the lead shedding mallet marketed as Muther Thumper, and sold by www.performanceunlimited.com
It's made by a company in the NE...called Cookhammer.com

thanx again, steve
steve meltzer,
2837GT

Post by 2837GT »

I am sure the car needs to on the ground.
David Wheeler recommended a German ‘old timer’ tool for removing our wheels in a more kindly fashion.
It reduces the risks implicit in swinging a lead mallet around the body work.
I looked but couldn’t find the e.mail. It may have been featured in the newsletter.
I will look.
2837GT

Post by 2837GT »

Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx for the link...not cheap, but repairing body work and wheels is vastly more expensive! thanx again. s
steve meltzer,
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

After 20 years of service the bronze spinner socket I bought from the fellow in Ohio split. I wasn't too happy about the cost of the Oldtimer socket, but I got it in the mail today and I have to tell you, it is an amazingly beautiful piece of work. It snaps on tight and there is no way you will hurt yourself or your car while using this socket. I remember every time I used the bronze socket my bunghole puckered for the fear of a mishap. Great stuff.

john
PF Coupe
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

Does anyone here have experience of the Hill Engineering tool for knock off spinners? It’s described as steel and aluminium mixed construction.

The Hill tool is presently listed on the Superformance.co.uk website but I can’t find it on Hill’s own site.
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
tyang

Post by tyang »

Terry Gardiner wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:44 am Does anyone here have experience of the Hill Engineering tool for knock off spinners? It’s described as steel and aluminum mixed construction.

The Hill tool is presently listed on the Superformance.co.uk website but I can’t find it on Hill’s own site.
Hi Terry,

I have one. I tried out a prototype when Hill just started making them and suggested some changes. It seems to work fine, but requires a 3/4 inch breaker bar and a cheater pipe to get enough torque like most wrench type tools. The contact points on the knockoff is less severe as the welded ones where sharp corners always seem to make contact. I personally am not a fan of these tools as the front wheels should be done with two people when a car does not have a steering lock. They may not fit the smaller knock offs on the 275 and GTCs but I should dust it off and see. It's also a lot of kit to keep in the trunk, and can do some damage if not stored securely!

I shot a video not too long ago for my YouTube channel and mentioned the tool, so I owe everyone a follow-up of the Hill tool in use. I'll try to do it sometime in the future.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

Hello Tom
I see on the Oldtimer website that RW32 sized hub spinners (275s and GTCs) are served by a separate appropriately sized tool.
As Oldtimer sell a smart carrying case for their spinner tools they clearly expect them to be in cars for roadside use and not just workshop items. I agree it’s a lot to carry - a matter of choice.
Rgds
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

One thing to note is that the German sockets are car specific.

john
PF Coupe