Personal Thanks

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

chris

Personal Thanks

Post by chris »

I would like to state a big thank you to the community here. I am not a fan (and therfore not at all a follower) of forums here in Germany and I only do daily check on two sites - Fchat and Tom Yang. I am only in the position to own the cars I have because I do (and I love it) all the work on my cars myself. The enthusiasm of the people here and the knowledge can not be found elsewhere. But the best thing is that in addition you as contributors are willing to share knowledge and do not keep it secret as so often can be seen. In addition you treat those with less knowledge with respect. For me it is a pleasure to learn here and I would like to pay respect for all of you with tons of experience and being willing to share it. Without you I would struggle more, have less fun and I am proud to learn from folks like Dyke, Kerry, Romano, Tom, Timo, ........,...., I could not mention all. Please excuse that.
And yes, I will cross post on both sites as both are reaching out to people with the same mindset and love of things mechanical.

And a very personal thanks to Tom for providing the means of this site, taking the effort to frequently give us updates, answering questions and sharing knowledge learning from one of the greats, Francois..,

Thanks
Christopher
Jumprun

Re: Personal Thanks

Post by Jumprun »

Well said Chris, thank you for reminding folks how important we are to each other in keeping our cars on the road.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Christopher,

You're more than welcome. I have benefited from the generosity of my mentors and friends and only want to pay it forward. When I first started this website, there was very little information available on the internet, and I wanted to try and change that. I built a site where someone like me would like to visit, and I'm glad you feel the same way!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

When I first found my car in 2000, Tom was one of the first people I contacted. I searched online and his was the only name that came up! The site was primitive by today's standards, but hosted a great group of people who were determined to save the GTE. Today 4247 GT is in the final stages of its restoration and it is fitting that Tom is doing the work.

I truly appreciate all the help and encouragement you folks have given me over the years. Each time someone posted work they were doing on their car, I would go to my car to try to figure out what they were talking about. It was quite an education! And I appreciate you guys talking me off the ledge whenever that project made me realize how little I knew about restoring a car and how long I had to go to get it done.

Today you see the car on Tom's Blog and know that the restoration part of the journey is almost over. Before the end of the summer, there will be a blog post of Tom Y and I taking 4247 GT for a celebratory drive in upstate New York! After that, I will be the one posting the photos of the car on the road in California, as it should be.

I have made a lot of great friends on this site and I look forward to continuing to talk with you online and in person as we enjoy our cars. Only then, I will be the one in the drivers seat!

The attachment IMG_3441-2.JPG is no longer available
IMG_3441-2.JPG
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Somehow, those photos did not work. Should be:

The attachment IMG_3441-2.JPG is no longer available
IMG_3441-2.JPG
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Still not working! The one that keeps appearing is 2000 and this one is 2020.
IMG_5831.JPG
Attachments
IMG_5831.JPG
afwrench

Post by afwrench »

Unlike many other automotive sites this place has always seemed to be one of civility and patience with all the members.The willingness to share and encourage make it a tribute to all the contributors. This is a direct reflection on Tom and how he maintains this fabulous resource.The internet changed the old car hobby for the better and this site is a major part of that legacy. Mike
72,365gtc4,14681,2007 599 GTB
linen grey ghost

Post by linen grey ghost »

"HEY - Mr. Wilson!" That photo from 2020 shows one handsome stallion.

Beautiful efforts sir.

(apologies, couldn't resist the 'Dennis the Menace' reference; imagine you've heard that one quite often)
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

No problem. Being named Tommy, having a father named Mr. Wilson and a brother named Dennis, I have gotten quite used to it... 😜
tyang

Post by tyang »

The landscape of the Internet has changed and there are a lot of distractions from social media and smart phones, but I like this corner of the Internet I've created for us to gather and share our experience. I do have a social media presence, but find it too temporary to share a lot pictures and story about what I do with Vintage Ferraris. It's been over 20 years when I wrote my first blog post and have made a lot of friends in this community, but it wouldn't be anywhere if it wasn't from this group of great people. Thanks everybody!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Wrigs2019

Post by Wrigs2019 »

Tom,

I’ve been following your car’s story since 2015 when I stumbled upon Tom’s podcasts. I’m excited to see your project close to the finish line.

Clint
66 330 GT 2+2 #9153
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Thanks Clint! It has been a wild ride and it feels great to be this close to finishing the restoration and starting the next chapter where I get to drive it. There will be an update my crazy restoration in the next GTE Newsletter, by the way...
peterp

Post by peterp »

Tom Wilson wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:04 pm Still not working! The one that keeps appearing is 2000 and this one is 2020.
Congrats Tom -- your car looks amazing. It's been a very long journey, glad to see it nearly completed.

Echoing others comments -- thanks to Tom Yang for creating this community -- all content, no drama -- that's unobtanium on the Internet these days.

- Peter
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

I view Tom's site (and Ferrari Chat to a much lesser extent) as the last bastion of people who actually work on their own Ferrari's. That is what drew me here in the first place. Over the years, as the values have increased to highs not ever envisioned 50 years ago, when I first started, the owner profiles have changed radically to people who never work on their own cars. All of this is understandable, however, there are still a few of us who care enough about the cars to want to fully understand them mechanically. I am flattered and humbled by the kind comments of others on the site, and it has been my pleasure to attempt to share the little knowledge I have accumulated over the years. In the beginning, there was no internet, only two books (Tanner and Fitzgerald & Merritt), and NO dealer support. We did have Al Darlington at Modern Classic Motors in Reno (absolutely wonderful man who treated us all well and provided knowledge and great prices). As a group, we all learned from each other, but it was by "letters" and a few very expensive "long distance" phone calls. All this was the reason that Gerald Roush, Jim Riff and I began the series of "Technical Tips" in the Ferrari Market Letter as a method of getting our hard earned information out to other enthusiasts. Questions that can be an answered in a few seconds here with Tom, used to take weeks trying to find somebody who had encountered and solved the problem you were having. Now with the virus, our world will probably forever change again.
chris

Post by chris »

Dear Kerry,

your knowledge contribution to all of us is very much appreciated, be it the market letters or personal help in answering questions!!
You share your knowledge in a very generous way and people like you who have such expert knowledge in the topics we deal with here and do share it willingly are my personal heros.

Thanks a lot
Christopher