front wheel bearing + oilseal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330indenmark

front wheel bearing + oilseal

Post by 330indenmark »

Hello

i am about to change wheelbearings on my 330gt mk2 - i have removed the fronthub - and to get near the bearings i need to remove this oil seal -
i have tried to search for a replacement at the ferrari parts stores in uk - but not available - anyone who have a ref no of a substitute?

any good advices when i get to remove and install the new bearings ?

i have got the rearwheel bearings out - and find there are 2 different available in uk - there are 2 sizes width available - 27 mm and 23 mm -
the ones i removed are 27 mm wide. is there a good reason to use 23 mm instead - better oilseal or?

tks for a good forum

best regards
kim
denmark
330indenmark

Re: front wheel bearing + oilseal

Post by 330indenmark »

seems the photo didnt go with - i try again
but otherwise its the metal packed oilseal - first thing to see when hub removed - its got a number 775033C stamped
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Kim,

First off, welcome to the message board.

The front oil seals are felt seals that fit inside the retainer.

Please excuse the chewed up spanner holes. A previous shop did this!

to remove this retainer, you have to first remove the set screw before turning the lock ring with a spanner wrench. The lock ring is "handed" meaning one side is left handed thread, and the opposite side is right handed thread.

Tom

PS. there seems to be problem uploading images at this time. I'll try to fix it.
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Kim, the front seals are not really "oil seal", they are grease seals. If they are not distorted or damaged you may reuse them. Look at Tom's September 6, 2020 blog page where he is going thru the same exercise and note the special wrench he utilizes for removing the retainer rings. Don't forget two important things, (1) retainers are kept in place with set screws that must be removed and (2) the left side retainer thread is left-handed. Not knowing these two things causes more damage to retainers than not having the proper wrench. Good luck.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi All,

There seems to be a problem uploading images to the forum, and I'll try to find some time to solve the problem, but to illustrate Kim's issue, here are some pictures he sent me:

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330indenmark

Post by 330indenmark »

hi

Tom - tks for setting in the photos

John - tks yr info - have ordered the special tool to remove the nut - seems there are no grubbing screw in mine so maybe the
serII car is a little different in the hubs

as you can see the outer bearing is of the roller type - and all catalogues and supliers show ball bearing - does anybody know if the
serII car uses roller bearings or have mine been changed at some point with "whats available" the dimension seems the same 20x47x18 mm -
what would you suggest to use - roller or ball bearings?

tks
Kim
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Kim, I can tell you that the bearing in the third picture (in the above post) is the original bearing, which is the roller type. Note, there has to be a set (or grub) screw. Make sure to remove it before you go at the retainer ring with your new wrench.

john
PF Coupe