Driving the White Car

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Driving the White Car

Post by Tom Wilson »

Today I made my first big solo drive in 4247 GT. As many of you know, I purchased the derelict car in 2002, futzed with it for 12 years or so, drove it about 2 miles in Monterey in 2015 with a borrowed engine (thanks Scot!), around Palm Beach in January and on a shakedown drive with Tom Y a month or two ago.

Before the car was delivered to my house In Los Angeles, I got a notice of an FCA drive through Malibu and jumped on it. With my daughter’s boyfriend Jose as navigator, this morning we met 45 Ferrari’s and owners for coffee and conversation. As my car and a Daytona were the only vintage cars in the pack, we were a hit. I spent the social hour showing off the car to the folks there and talking about Ferrari history.

Then off we all went for a 45 mile ride through the back hills of Malibu, where I learned why power steering was invented... However the twisty mountain roads let me keep up with the guys with 2-3 times the horsepower of my GTE. Jose and I had a blast, learning how to handle the car and and just bonding as car guys.

I now have a different position on this web site, that of a driver, not just one who hoped to drive some day. Thank you guys for all of your encouragement, help, ribbing and companionship over the years. Next time we meet, I will still be asking for a ride in your car, but now I will be able to offer you a ride in mine!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Pmo75

Re: Driving the White Car

Post by Pmo75 »

Wonderful story! I’m sure it was a special day and It was worth the wait.
Now enjoy it and share more experience here!
1966 330 GT #8941
1968 300 SEL 6.3
tyang

Post by tyang »

HI Tom,

That's great news! I can only imagine the fun you had and how proud you were to be among all the other Ferraris! I have found you get a lot of "street cred" bringing an older Ferrari out to run with the newer cars.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
enio45

Post by enio45 »

great perseverance with your journey with the car......now enjoy the car....what a longgggggg story this was.

i always loved the white on red as well......!
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Hey, Tom this is good news, now drive the heck out of it. Although my car is not as nice as yours, I reached the "get-in-and-drive" point late last year. Now that my engine is broken in and producing great power, I pour it on as often as possible, it runs better after a few visits to 6,500 rpm.

I hope to see you around SoCal at some event soon.

Tom Martinez,
Lake Arrowhead, Ca.
Wrigs2019

Post by Wrigs2019 »

Look who showed up on my Instagram feed.
Attachments
F8508C20-EBDB-4E51-816B-2DDA5837755E.png
66 330 GT 2+2 #9153
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I'm Famous!!!
Timo

Post by Timo »

Congrats, Tom !
Let me know when you‘re ready for some spirited drives on ACH or other similar roads in around here and I’ll make an effort to join you.
Maybe you can soon start a new thread “Drifting the White Car (up in the mountains)” :mrgreen:
Timo
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

Uh Oh, do I smell a Southern Ca. vintage Ferrari gathering in the making?
If so, I'm all in!

Tom,
All over Socal,
tyang

Post by tyang »

Timo wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:18 pm Congrats, Tom !
Let me know when you‘re ready for some spirited drives on ACH or other similar roads in around here and I’ll make an effort to join you.
Maybe you can soon start a new thread “Drifting the White Car (up in the mountains)” :mrgreen:
We'll have to teach Tom the "Scandinavian Flick!"

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Tom, Congrats on your perseverance and success! Much to admire and applaud. Pretty darn cool! steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
peterp

Post by peterp »

Congrats Tom! Great to see you enjoying the car after a loooonnnnggg journey. The length of the journey makes it all the more sweet.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Today's drive was a loop around the Palos Verdes peninsula, a beautiful drive along the cliffs overlooking the Santa Monica bay. It was a bit overcast, but at least today I did not have air conditioner envy!
408 2.jpg
On the way down the 405 freeway I got surrounded by the South Bay Car club, a group of about 30 modern Ferraris, McLaren's, Lamborghinis and even a Mercedes SLS decorated as a police car. Got lots of thumb's ups and shouts of "Great car!". At one point, an SUV with SBCC Photo Car on the side blew by, then slowed down and passed again with cameras hanging out each window. The car does get a lot of attention.

An ulterior motive of this trip was to get a photo of the car in front of my Mother-In-Law's former house, which is across the street from the photo above. She really wanted to see the car finished, but unfortunately I was too slow in the restoration, so this was the best I could do.
408 1.jpg
The car is running like a champ and and I am having a blast. By the way, Monday the car goes into the shop to stop the small leaks that TomY mentioned on his blog. Unfortunately the truck ride across the country made them bigger leaks. I want to fix them now so I can visit you guys and not trash your driveways!