330 Sunvisors - ur blog

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

330 Sunvisors - ur blog

Post by enio45 »

Tom, as you know we have restored several GTC's and they use the same visors. We have several sets that we disassembled and sent pieces of the visor material out to several suppliers to see if the orig material design is still available.

Several to the top upholstery organizations, like Luppi in Modena and Henk at HVL have searched and investigated the availability of the material.

Each have come back with NLA and it has been a long time unavailable. The option is to have the material made with the correct grain....it is a plastic type material, that has to be receptive to the melting of the material with heat to seal the edges. In discussion with both of the suppliers, neither one felt that there was sufficient demand to begin this endeavor. WE have a local company in town that said they could do the tooling to make the frame structures and to do the heat adhesion process. The issue still remains - the correct material. Why go thru the process if you cannot get the material with the exception of having it made.

So at this point - we kinda stopped the investigation and are still at a dilemma what to do. I know virtually every 330 and possibly the 365 cars use the same visors - and they could sell if we have the exact match of material.

Just sharing some thoughts - happy to discuss more and looking for options.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
tyang

Re: 330 Sunvisors - ur blog

Post by tyang »

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your thoughts. I've also noticed there are different types of vinyl of different cars. GTCs use a different grain of vinyl compared to a 330GT 2+2. I think the supplier of these visors changed the materials through the years. Not only do 330s and 365s, but Dinos and Daytonas, so there are a lot of cars that use these visors.

A quick search on the internet shows there is are high frequency heat sealing machines that do this kind of finishing for sun visors, but would cost thousands to purchase. The initial cost would probably not justify the demand.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Thanks for the response - I would like to understand which cars use the same visors type material.

I also have evidence that some of the 330's have different passenger visors Mirror inserts. The 330 GTC's we have restored
have a larger mirror and the 330 series I visor i have has a smaller visor Mirror insert. Visor material seems the same to me but
would like to see it we can determine the how many car types and quantity of visors that are the potential for replacement.

I have rarely seen a nice set, they are all disintegrated on the inside.

Appreciate anyone weighting in on the model type and style.....maybe posting s few pics would be helpful as well.

My partner Tom and I are not adverse to doing the leg work to make these - would like see what the complete picture looks like.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

The Porsche 356 uses heat sealed textured sun visors too, there have been high quality repo ones available for some time. Perhaps researching the source for Porsche would yield something.

Here is well know Porsche supplier:

https://sierramadrecollection.com/sun-v ... 17241.html
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Tom,

Newton Commercial in the Uk does high frequency joining. They use it for example for original door cards. They mainly do prefab interiors for classic cars. Maybe a try speaking to them. See link below.

Christopher

https://newtoncomm.co.uk/
treue

Post by treue »

Tom,

Bob Smith said (6 years ago) a sewn visor is accepted without penalty in the concourses in which he has shown cars (a lot). Maybe this is a solution looking for a problem?

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know what I found out.

The acceptance of the sewn visors is fine, but it would be nice to find a way to reproduce these visors correctly. Details in the past have been accepted by concours judging but changed when proper parts were reproduced and available, a case in point being the availability of reproduction Abarth, Cereto, and Spacem exhausts instead of the commonly available, and incorrect ANSA exhausts installed on 330s and 250s.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
linen grey ghost

Post by linen grey ghost »

Perhaps this could be a source of vinyl material > https://www.automotiveinteriors.com/aut ... inyl-1.htm

Attachments
vinylheadlinersample.PNG
vinylheadlinersample.PNG (28.84 KiB) Viewed 5304 times