250 GTE original type exhaust

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

chris

250 GTE original type exhaust

Post by chris »

Hi Tom, All,

first a happy new year to you all and all the best.

What are the options (and cost) for original looking exhaust systems. I know that Abarth was the original provider and the change to the most commonly used Ansa systems came much later.

Here my questions:
Which companies do provide Abarth copies?
How about cost?
Any companies in Europe or just the US?

Thanks a lot.

Stay safe
Christopher
John Vardanian

Re: 250 GTE original type exhaust

Post by John Vardanian »

Hi Chris, I got mine from Greg Jones. The silencers look like the original Abarth pieces. They are made of stainless and the quality is very good. He also sells the proper clamps and bracketry. At the time when I got mine the pipes were bent in the conventional way, but it's possible that he may now have the proper mandrel bent pipes as well.

https://www.facebook.com/greg.jones.33821189

john
PF Coupe
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

Years ago I had 4 sections made in 304 stainless by P D Gough, Nottingham (UK). They copied the form of my previous system parts meticulously and also fitted the new sections to the car.
I remember them holding a very large range of worn out systems as patterns.
They still advertise in the UK FOC magazine - so maybe worth a contact.
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Christopher,

Happy New Year!

Greg Jones' manufacturer is Timevalve in FL. He worked closely with us to make the mufflers and parts to reproduce the Abarth systems. I feel the cost is very similar to the ANSA system and is of higher quality. I don't know who in the UK or Europe doing this. Most of the suppliers on your side of the world want to sell you ANSA because it's what they stock, or they're not as anal as we are in the States! (self deprecating joke!)

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
chris

Post by chris »

Dear John, Terry, Tom,

Thanks a lot for your inputs. I would love to have an original looking Abarth copy. I would go for the Greg Jones/ Timevalve
system if it were not for the 30% taxes plus transport cost. So an option in Europe would be perfect. Terry, I will try your contact and see what they can offer. Problem is I seem to have american genes (refering to Toms words) when it is about small things looking right ;-)

Thanks
Christopher
mechaniker

Post by mechaniker »

You can try at Sport Auto Modena. I have seen some silencers in different stated of manufacture there. When I asked for a price, I got no concrete answer...

But the parts looked very good!
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

Christopher

https://www.pdgough.com/

I imagine you've already found the above address but here it is just in case.

Good luck with making contact.

Terry
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Not to be a negative Nancy here, but if you are looking for an exhaust system that looks like the original, I would carefully examine PD Gough's products. They do not have a 250GT system picture on their website, but they do have a 275GTB picture. I have to say that the silencer cans do not even try to look like the original Abarth. The build quality appears exceptional, but unlike Greg's products, they will not pass for Abarth lookalikes. Good luck with whichever you choose.

john
PF Coupe
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

I couldn't help looking a bit further into this...

How does this...
https://quicksilverexhausts.store/colle ... st-1960-63
compare to ANSA and Abarth?

Any comments?
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
tyang

Post by tyang »

Terry Gardiner wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:46 am I couldn't help looking a bit further into this...

How does this...
https://quicksilverexhausts.store/colle ... st-1960-63
compare to ANSA and Abarth?

Any comments?
These guys seemed to have copied the ANSA cans. The easiest way to tell the difference is the ANSA mufflers have convex beads rolled into the cases. Abarth mufflers have a different bead. The shape of the muffler is also different. About 20 years ago, ANSA was all that was available, but all the exhaust manufacturers wanted to make better stainless steel units, so they all copied the ANSA units. Timevalve also made these systems and still has the tooling to do this, but David Carte's shop in VA, and Timevalve went through the process of collecting original Abarth exhausts and created the tooling to do this at the expense of time and money. Manufacturers of the ANSA systems may not enthusiastic about retooling, so they will sell you what they have in stock, or are set up to make.

Another thought to consider, is Ferrari Classique has been rejecting some certifications because of their exhaust systems "not being as it left the factory when new."

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
tyang

Post by tyang »

In trying to describe the Abarth mufflers in the last post, I'll try to take some pictures of an original exhaust I'm currently removing from a car. Stay tuned!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

The silencers in the inside of this photo are the originals. The photo shows the side of the silencers that face the pavement; i.e., the side you see when these are in service. The outer sections are Jones replicas. They are oriented to show both sides. The bracketry shown on the replica is critical if one is striving for the "original" look. Hope this is helpful.

john
Attachments
IMG_1733 resize.JPG
PF Coupe
mechaniker

Post by mechaniker »

Here the Auto Sport exhaust parts.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2021-01-06 at 14.25.33.jpeg
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks for all input. Enclosed a link to pictures of a complete system on a car I found some time ago of a system on a Gte on BaT. I believe Abarth but please correct me if not. Was the end tip of the Abarth system black or chrome?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963- ... 250-gte-3/

Thanks to all
Christopher
chris

Post by chris »

Car was cetified by Classiche when with Greg Jones