Torque procedure rear axle hub nut 250 Gte

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

chris

Torque procedure rear axle hub nut 250 Gte

Post by chris »

Dear Tom, dear All,

I renewed my 250 Gterear axle hub seals and remounted hub and now want to torque up the rear axle shaft nut. Is there a specific torque rate or how is the procedure to torque it up. I could not find something in according F handbooks.

Thanks
Christopher
tyang

Re: Torque procedure rear axle hub nut 250 Gte

Post by tyang »

Hi Christopher,

As I'm sure you know there isn't a lot of technical data out there for VIntage Ferraris. Besides certain specs that are available for engine assembly, many fasteners on Ferraris just didn't have this information. When I asked Francois, my mentor, how tight I should tighten a particular fastener, he would say, "tight," or "really tight!" I learned through the years that a "feel" for some of these bolts and nuts was needed and this was also dependent on the size of the bolt or nut. There are also charts available that can tell you torque specs for a particular fastener combination. The rear axle nut is a large one and can take quite a bit of torque, but luckily the rear axle bearings are roller or ball bearings, so they're not as sensitive to side loading compared to tapered bearings. There's also some play in the nut so the cotter pin will line up with the holes.

I'm sure there are more accurate answers out there.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053