GTC suspension removal advice needed.

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jumprun

GTC suspension removal advice needed.

Post by Jumprun »

I am restoring my 330 GTC suspension, I have hit a snag removing the left front upper “A” arm.
I can not remove the front pivot bolt, the steering box interferes with it slipping out.

Is there a secret to getting this bolt out? It appears that the steering box needs to be disconnected from the shaft support to get the clearance. If this is the case, does anyone have advice on how this is done? It looks like there is only one bolt on the steering box but It is not obvious what comes next.

Tom in SoCal.
Jumprun

Re: GTC suspension removal advice needed.

Post by Jumprun »

BOLT22.jpeg
BOLT12.jpeg
Here is the situation. I was trying to avoid taking the steering box apart, but.....
Jumprun

Post by Jumprun »

As Rosanne Roseanna Danna would say "never mind"

I had searched Tom's Blog looking for my answer before I posted my query, but I tried again searching using "GTS" instead of "GTC" and found my answer. I do Indeed need to remove the steering box...UGHHH.

Sorry for the interruption.
Tom in SoCal.
Jumprun

The bolt removal trick!

Post by Jumprun »

I found a way to remove that bolt without removing the steering box, and It only took 5 minutes once I tried my plan.

First remove the only top nut that secures the steering box to the upright support, this is done from above, then drop the bolt down as far as it will go. Bottom picture.

Then remove the pinch bolt that secures the steering box pitman arm shaft to the upright support. I levered a screwdriver in the gap to spread it a tiny bit. 2nd picture.

Place a pry bar or large screw driver between the steering box and the support. There is already a gap that is a part of the design so it is a natural to lever the steering box up from the support. 1st picture.

Lever the box up until there is enough clearance to get that pesky A arm bolt out. 3rd picture down.

No need to remove the steering input, the pitman arm, or anything, it was super easy.
The disclaimer is it could be difficult if rust has set in and wwill not release the pitman arm shaft from the support easily.
C60AA7BB-1913-49BC-B305-6CADC0767D87.jpeg
2F1B2066-6147-4DA3-A968-F7B17C6504CC.jpeg
EA5FF5A9-D337-48FB-A67D-C6B3DFCD4A2D.jpeg
9224EAFA-9CFF-41E0-A9D9-21A4DD5E5AB3.jpeg
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Thanks for sharing. This is exactly the kind of information that makes this site invaluable.

john
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

Thanks for sharing. Pulling the upper A-arm is not too bad, but I'll have to try that the next time. I seem to recall one steering box was pretty badly seized in the collar. Ferrari didn't use any grease to help us out!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053