330GTC for sale in LA

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mdstrib

330GTC for sale in LA

Post by mdstrib »

Does any one have any first hand info on the 330GTC at Heritage Classics? They are asking $96,500 and it appears to be the same one that Fantasy Junction has last fall for $86,000. I wonder if this is the classic $10,000 wash job! They say it is 19,000 mile car....

http://www.heritageclassics.com/fer...0gtc3/Page.html

Also, there is a second 330GTC in LA referenced below, any info on it would be appreciated as well:

http://www.carbuyer.com/moreinfo.phtml?key=765682

1966 Ferrari 330 GTC

Ferrari
330 GTC
RED / BLACK
$114000
Richard purcell
Los anglels, CA
(310) 497-5465 or (310) 550-2646

Description: 1966 330 GTC Mint condition, RED/BLACK,4000 miles since complete world famous full restoration, concourse winner many times over,cover of Cavallino,all original books,tools,every record including restoration pictures and reciepts. $115,000.00 310-497-5465. 310-550-2646
67GTC

RE: Heritage 330 GT/C

Post by 67GTC »

I looked at the 330 GT/C in question twice within a month. My first viewing of the car was at Fantasy Junction in October of last year. I was driving through the Bay area and made arrangements for the showroom to be open on Sunday in order to see the car and drive it.

When I looked at the car on the rack I noticed newish front suspension elements, copious oil all over the sump and adjacent mechanicals and new exhaust hangers.

The car started OK, but sounded as though it was loping somewhat. Once the car was up to temp., the sales guy drove it several blocks and then turned it over to me. I drove it three blocks and a huge noise caused us to immediately pull it to the curb. Somehow it had ejected the number three or four plug from the head! The car was flat-bedded back to the showroom, and I went on my way. The premise was that the plug had been previously pulled for a leakdown test and not fully seated afterwards.

Although this had ended my interest in the car, I ran into it again at Heritage Classics a month later when I saw the car on their Web site. There are quite a few red over black GTCs, and I had no idea that this one had moved so quickly from the Bay area.

I can say that after a new pan gasket and an incredible detailing of the interior and exterior, it looked like a different car. The price had increased from $86K (asking price) to a more firm $96.5K in this transition.

My understanding of the car's background is that it belonged to an older gentleman in Arizona who hadn't driven it in a "few" years due to health problems. The claims of 19,000 original miles may be correct, but that in itself is scary to me. Sitting = big problems with gaskets, hoses and other mechanicals with these cars, and the leaking sump gasket may be just the tip of the iceburg....

The seats were in good shape, the dash wood showed minor but consistent crackling on the surface, the carpets as I recall were a bit dodgy.

My biggest problem with the car is that none of the past history of this car can be confirmed because all registration and service records for the car have been lost.

I gave the car a pass for the second time...

I did inquire after the '66 red and black car in Bevrly Hills, but never received a response to my email.

I ended up buying a '67 red and natural 330 GT/C in Connecticut with about 41,000 original miles and paperwork going back to 1980. The previous owners had spent about $57K on the car since that time.

If you have questions about the pursuit of GTCs, please feel free to contact me.

Chuck
mdstrib

Post by mdstrib »

Chuck, Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It may have saved me a trip out to LA. I certainly agree with you that the lack of record is a huge issue. I worry that the second one, which has only 4000 mile since 1993 may suffer some of the same ills. I’m getting the feeling that the search for a nice 330GTC will be a protracted effort. Have you been happy with yours? Thanks again for your kind help! mdstrib
67GTC

GTC Search

Post by 67GTC »

Yes, I agree that records are crucial... I've been tracking GTCs from CA to Switzerland over the past year and a half. If you can let me know your spending range and required condition, I'll forward what I find from my various sources.

As for my car; I've had a few teething problems (gas guage not working, heater hose blew) but nothing critical. I've replaced the plugs and plan to synchronize the Webers soon... Other than that, it's a nice 41K original, non-restored GTC. I may drive it up to Santa Barbara this weekend with a group of other F-car guys.

BTW, where do you live?

Chuck
mdstrib

Post by mdstrib »

Chuck, I'd appreciate any leads you could offer. I hope to spend $100K including travel, PPI, immediate service required, shipping etc, although thats not an absolute amount. I'm after a good honest driver with nice interior. I don't mind the paint having a little patina, I even look for that, but a worn out interior is hard for me to get past.Original engine is a must. I'd prefer silver or some shade of blue rather than red but thats not so important. I'm a pretty cheap guy and I do look for value, but not false value as in impending problems in a cheap car.

On another note, I see there is one at Ferrari of Atlanta that is newly listed on their web site 2 days ago. I'm only 2 hours from there so I may go there Saturday. Someone told me it has...issues...

Thanks!! Michael Stribling in Franklin NC, in the Smokey Mountains...