Metal dash color

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rob330

Metal dash color

Post by Rob330 »

Hello all,
Does anybody have a paint code for the metal dash black. My big concern is how glossy it should be. Also the same
questions for the wood dash .
My cars are both 1964 330 GT's.

Thanks , Rob.
tyang

Re: Metal dash color

Post by tyang »

HI Rob,

Gloss of the metal dash is gloss, but would have looked differently than the modern two-stage paint commonly used today since it was lacquer back then. You can vary the amount of gloss depending on how the paint is color sanded and buffed after it's applied so work with your painter to get the right amount of gloss. You can use a two-stage paint, just don't buff the hell out of it!

The wood on the dash is another matter. It should have a very light coat of varnish and should have an almost matt finish to it bordering on semi-gloss. I believe the original finish was either a rubbed linseed finish, or light varnish. I would be open to other opinions, but it definitely does not have gloss finish.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

I have the metal dash stripped so I will work on matching the finish from the glove box door that I did not
strip any paint off of yet. I feel it can't be too shiny as it my reflect the sun and be blinding.

I will remove the trimming on the wood dash today and I may leave it with a furniture re finisher, it can't
be too expensive to have a professional prep and stain it. He will also have many samples of stain to pick from.

I will keep you updated.

Rob
peterp

Post by peterp »

Rob330 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:55 pmI will remove the trimming on the wood dash today and I may leave it with a furniture re finisher, it can't be too expensive to have a professional prep and stain it. He will also have many samples of stain to pick from.
Unless the very early series 1 dash differs from the rest of production, it should be a teak dash with (I believe) no stain at all. It is just treated with deeply penetrated teak oil (Watco makes a good one). Happy to be corrected if wrong, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't stained originally.

Teak comes back from the dead with oil, even when it looks pretty bad (that's why they use it on boats where it get abused by salt water), so usually not much restoration of the wood is needed.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

Thanks for the information but I actually had some lifting in areas and we needed to sand it
down a bit .
Luckily they finished the front and the back of the wood so we have an excellent sample of
the original finish. I am still working on it so I can post a photo when it is done .

Rob
peterp

Post by peterp »

Rob330 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:15 am Thanks for the information but I actually had some lifting in areas and we needed to sand it
down a bit .
Luckily they finished the front and the back of the wood so we have an excellent sample of
the original finish. I am still working on it so I can post a photo when it is done .

Rob
Sounds good. There's nothing at all wrong with sanding teak to remove imperfections. My only concern was the reference to staining in the earlier posts. To my knowledge, the factory only used teal oil and no actual stain to change the color of the raw teak. Since you have a sample, it should come out correct no matter how you achieve it. Look forward to seeing the results!
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169