Cerium oxide for windshield clarity?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

peterp

Cerium oxide for windshield clarity?

Post by peterp »

I have been reading a lot about Cerium Oxide (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0837 ... UU3X&psc=1) polish for removal of windshield scratches and improve clarity. I don't have any major scratches and am not worried about any tiny pits on the 330, but I do feel like the fifty-something year old glass could have more clarity.

Has anyone tried Cerium Oxide on vintage Ferrari glass? Did it work well and are there any dangers in using it on vintage glass?

I have used some glass polishes in the bottle before and didn't notice any meaningful difference, but from what I've read at least, the Cerium Oxide sounds like it is the real deal as a simple and effective glass polish.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
peterp

Re: Cerium oxide for windshield clarity?

Post by peterp »

This is what the powder & buffer it look like:

Peter P
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

I used this on a Daytona windshield 10 to 15 years ago. The wiper had made a scratch on the front windshield from the steel holder contacting it. They were not deep. The general rule of thumb was that if you run your fingernails over them and it does not snag it can help.

It took a long time. It made a mess. Order twice the amount of powder. Mine turned out better but not perfect. I was afraid to go further as if you grind too much it can distort your vision.

I thought it was worth it. Just go easy.

Drew Altemara
peterp

Post by peterp »

DrewA wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:49 am I used this on a Daytona windshield 10 to 15 years ago. The wiper had made a scratch on the front windshield from the steel holder contacting it. They were not deep. The general rule of thumb was that if you run your fingernails over them and it does not snag it can help.

It took a long time. It made a mess. Order twice the amount of powder. Mine turned out better but not perfect. I was afraid to go further as if you grind too much it can distort your vision.

I thought it was worth it. Just go easy.

Drew Altemara
Thanks very much for the feedback Drew. Did you notice any improvement in overall clarity of the windshield? Mine is in very good shape, no scratches at all, but it's not quite as optically clear as on our modern cars. I'm sure the clarity is very typical for its age -- but I'd probably give it a shot if clarity improves. I will definitely cover the rest of the car if choose to do it.

Thank again,
Peter
Peter P
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

I was more interested in removing the scratch but do remember going over the entire windshield with what I had left.

It helped. Its worth a try. You will not hurt anything if you go slow. it is very messy as the polisher thrown around a lot of the paste.