330 GT 2+2 Rear Frame Repairs?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

csullivan67

330 GT 2+2 Rear Frame Repairs?

Post by csullivan67 »

Upon inspecting a 330 GT 2+2 SII undercarriage, I noticed what appears to be a cut frame tube just ahead of the differential (attached photo). All other photos of this area show a solid tube with three tabs (presumably for a cover) and no flat stock steel near the universal joint.

-Can anyone confirm this is a repair and not factory correct (I suspect it is a poor repair).
-Other than having trouble removing the driveshaft, what does this repair signify?
-Thinking worst case scenario- Could the car have suffered a rear end accident that required the frame to be cut to remove the driveshaft? How would that inner pipe have been installed?

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
330_Frame_Cut.jpg
csullivan67

Re: 330 GT 2+2 Rear Frame Repairs?- Differential

Post by csullivan67 »

It just occurred to me that this car doesn't appear to have the correct differential. Does anyone able to identify this differential?
tyang

Re: 330 GT 2+2 Rear Frame Repairs?

Post by tyang »

Yeah, definitely not a Ferrari rear differential. I suspect the replacement rear end may have dropped the drive shaft low enough that it may have been rubbing against that center frame section, so the solution may have been to cut and fabricate a piece that would clear. The stock Ferrari set up allows just enough room to clear that cross member when the suspension is at full droop.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053