330GT Front suspension

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

baldilocks

330GT Front suspension

Post by baldilocks »

Hello Folks,
I finally got around to rebuilding the front suspension on my 330GT mark 1
IMG_5553 (2).JPG
I have got as far as you can see in the picture and am now at a point where I have to deal with the spring.
As I cant get a spring compressor in there I presume I have to do it with a jack and maybe straps, any tips on where to jack and where to split to release the pressure, ie top or bottom?

Thanks,
Keith
chris

Re: 330GT Front suspension

Post by chris »

Hi Keith,

the spring has some pressure, so better be carefull. You might be able to dismount it with a jack but it is risky. I would suggest to build yourself a simple spring compressor. I used parts of an Austin Mini compressor and a Hazet part - see photos. I can provide parts numbers if you are interested. This way it is much safer&easier, especially if you remount the springs latter.

BR
Christopher
chris

Post by chris »

Here are the photos…
Attachments
5FD0B942-2201-4CF5-85B1-AD430CCEDC40.jpeg
BF31129E-1C00-40AC-A7DE-82A49711C83B.jpeg
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Keith, theoretically, you should be able to lift the car's weight with a jack from the round plate at the bottom of the spring cup, then remove the circlip that is retaining the round plate. Then you put a jack-stand under the car an lower the jack and the plate and the spring slide out from the bottom of the cup. That was Ferrari's intention, anyway. If it's not too rusty in that area, it might be worth the try. Or at least soak the circlip and jar it a bit to see if it can be done the originally way intended. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has had success following this method. Good luck.

john
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

John has the intended way to remove the spring, but please note the cir-clip is very hard to squeeze and remove. This may take a larger heavy duty tool, but it works. Note there are two grooves that the cir-clip can be seated into that set the ride height.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

The intended way I mentioned above is certainly the most elegant way, but I have to say, it didn't work for me. I put the corner on a jack stand, like in the first picture. Then I loosened the large nut at the top just a turn or so. A couple of dull blows to the upper pivot, along with the help of the spring broke the taper seal. Then I raised the corner by the cup until the large nut was free and then removed the nut. Then lowered the jack slowly all the way. The spring is extended and left with some very slight strain that can be overcome with your hands, allowing you to dislodge it easily. Putting it back can be done the same way, as you have the weight of the engine working in your favor. I didn't have the motor in, so I ended up using straps and the jack together, as in the second picture. Good luck, be safe.

john
Attachments
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
PF Coupe