Looking for 250GT PF Coupe door furniture

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

rwills

Looking for 250GT PF Coupe door furniture

Post by rwills »

I am nearing completion of a total restoration of my 1959 250 GT PF Coupe. When I purchased the car the inside door handles and window winders didn't look correct and looking at photos of other cars has made me realise they are not original.

I am therefore looking for a set of interior door handles and window winders for the car.

Any assistance gratefully accepted!

Regards,

Roger
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Roger,

If you give me your email address I can send you pictures of my car's interior. I own 1381GT, a Series I car. Thanks.

John Vardanian
rwills

Post by rwills »

John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Roger,

You may try Tom Shaughnessy in Southern California. His email is gt40mirage@aol.com. You may also try Fred Petroske in the Midwest. His email is petroske@gisco.net. If no luck let us know there are a few others.

John Vardanian
rwills

Post by rwills »

John,

Thanks for the contacts. Fred Petroske seems to have the door furniture I needed and I am arranging to buy this from him. Your photos were also excellent in determining which door handles were correct and which were not.

Thanks again for all your help!

Roger
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Roger,

I have been meaning to send you more pictures but the car has been off the ground for three months now and the dash is rather disassembled. Regardless, I will send you some photos in the next few days.

Sunday will be the car's first outing in awhile. We are taking it to the annual Hillsborough concours.

I apologize for the delay.

john
rwills

Post by rwills »

No problem John.

My car is coming together really well and is currently at the trim shop having the interior done. I took the 2 photos of the interior of your car to the trim shop and Nigel bought his photo album of your car and we spent a couple of hours with the trimmers. I've gone for a slightly darker tan colour than yours but not as orange as the photo of the spider you had sent me. I think it will be really nice. Any more photos you can send me will be really helpful to ensure the details are ok.

The bits I am missing but seem to have tracked most down are:

- rubber stops for bumpers (still to locate but can live with current wooden versions!. Madenterprise.com seem to have some but need to check they are correct dimensions)
- Cavallino horse for grille - I think the correct one is around 4 inches tall, made of aluminium and is flat as opposed to sculpted Does this sound correct? (Hopefully purchasing this from Dennis McCann)
- PF flags for trunk lid - I think the correct one is red/white and blue/white and around 3 inches wide at widest point (also hopefully coming from Dennis McCann)
- ashtray - may have located a reproduction at Italparts in Netherlands, or with Reoriginals so will take best version - your photos would be very useful in determining which looks most original! Tom Shaunessy also may have one.
- door furniture and window winder - Ferrari UK had a complete door for sale including door furniture etc so I bought that as the skin and frame on one door on my car was beyond repair. I'm now only missing one window winder and Fred Petroske is going to sell me this. It looks right from the photos so I hope it matches the one I have!

So it is all coming together well. I will try to get a decent handbook from somewhere if I can and then it is pretty much completed.

I've just arranged to purchase a nice UK number plate for the car as well so it is really going to look great. 6 FER will be the registration number when I get it transferred onto the car.

Thanks for all your assistance.

And thanks also to all the other people who have provided advice and assistance during this process. So many people have given advice and ideally you would like to buy them all a drink to say thanks but they are located all over the world!. Perhaps I need to make a standing offer to come and visit me for a drink if anyone ever visits the UK.

When it is completed I will post a photo or 2.

Regards,

Roger
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Roger,

I am glad and excited for you. 6 FER, that will top it off.

Make sure the ashtray has the double flags on it as opposed to a cavallino rampante.

Also, the flags motif on the trunk are different from one model to another (for instance, the Europa). I will send you a picture of mine. I've been told mine is correct.

john
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

Roger,

Regarding the horse for the grille - it is indeed flat and not sculpted on inside plug 250 GT's of the period. An original is made of brass and chrome plated, not aluminum. It is relatively thick in dimension (not just thin sheet gauge). There are two studs on the back to which little brackets fasten. The two brackets are also brass, plated, "L" shaped (90 degree bend), with a hole in each leg, one of which is elongated for adjustment. One leg of each bracket attaches to the horse, the other to the grille. There are reproductions about, close in size to original, but they are usually thinner material, the shape is facsimile, the engraving of features not as deep, and the depiction of the mane of the horse is more string-like than full. There may be variations on the original that I have not seen.

Chris
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Roger,

Here's shot of my horse before I sent it out for chome plating. I don't know if it's the same as the one that goes on your car, but it's flat, and you can really see the details Chris describes.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053