Vintage Style Battery Manufacturers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

peterp

Re: Vintage Style Battery Manufacturers

Post by peterp »

Thank you Kerry for the guidance on Safa battery being correct for my car and thank you Tom for recommending Napa batteries -- would not have thought to use Napa, but their batteries had the best performance and vintage look. I added some wrap to give the battery case a bit of a vintage look.

I would have gone with the BCM batteries if they weren't AGM, but I just didn't want to have to charge it once a month to keep the battery fresh.
IMG_2266.JPG
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
tyang

Post by tyang »

peterp wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:31 am Thank you Kerry for the guidance on Safa battery being correct for my car and thank you Tom for recommending Napa batteries -- would not have thought to use Napa, but their batteries had the best performance and vintage look. I added some wrap to give the battery case a bit of a vintage look.

I would have gone with the BCM batteries if they weren't AGM, but I just didn't want to have to charge it once a month to keep the battery fresh.

IMG_2266.JPG
Looking good. There's no points deduction for this set up if the battery is the right size, and passes for vintage to 99% of the world!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I sent an email to Jim's Batteries (aabmfginc@gmail.com) just under a month ago and got a reply today saying they are still selling reproduction batteries. Don't know the details and I don't have another month to find out. I do like the one they sold me, however!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
peterp

Post by peterp »

Tom Wilson wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:59 pm I sent an email to Jim's Batteries (aabmfginc@gmail.com) just under a month ago and got a reply today saying they are still selling reproduction batteries. Don't know the details and I don't have another month to find out. I do like the one they sold me, however!
Thanks Tom. Your battery looks amazing, and I appreciate you sharing pics. I've already (somewhat reluctantly) gone down the path of Napa due to not wanting AGM, which is all Battery Central Mall offered. I was curious to see if Jim's had non-AGM batteries, so I did a quick search. This thread on a corvette forum (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1 ... ttery.html) says that Jim's the guy who actually make them, and others like BCM just resell his batteries. They also say there's only a 4-week wait when ordering from Jim's -- which, if accurate, is much better than wait time from resellers. If I hadn't already gone with Napa, I'd call Jim to see if he'll do a non-AGM.

I did do some work to "vintagize" the case of my Napa.
IMG_2390.JPG
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

I could not find a source for the original type plastic screw plugs of the Baroclem Battery. Does anybody have one of these screwed sealing plugs? The classic batteries available today have red round plugs, I want to have the original type reproduced but need a sample to manage this.
Attachments
IMG_0680.jpeg
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
linen grey ghost

Post by linen grey ghost »

Perhaps the caps on this item would provide you with the sample to reproduce. Item is on eBay France, might have to negotiate with seller for shipment to USA.

> > > https://www.ebay.fr/itm/394379086145?ha ... R4DR9L6bYg
linen grey ghost

Post by linen grey ghost »

Apologies for the additional post, but thought an image of item might be useful.
Attachments
Baroclem.PNG
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Thank you for the link on ebay, this seems to be what I need. As an reaction to obviously some of us watching the item the seller increased the price to EUR 150,00 in the meantime. The greed we are confronted with at virtually any part we need for our cars is disgusting und sometimes harms my pleasure on my GTE.
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
enio45

Post by enio45 »

peter - PM sent to u
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

As luck would have it, my replica battery just died. It lasted 3 1/2 years and I am sure it would have lasted longer had I not left the lights on in the car overnight... I emailed Jim's Battery again and this time they responded in only 3 1/2 weeks! They say it is still available and lead time is 3-4 weeks. I am going with them again as I never had to charge, unhook or fiddle with it in all that time. Also, it gets a lot of compliments from onlookers and judges and I like it too!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Got my new "old" battery today from Jim's Battery. Yes, it is not exactly like the one in the Owner's Manual but still looks great in the engine bay. Expensive yes, but it gets a lot of comments at shows and makes me happy.
Attachments
IMG_2019.JPG
IMG_2019.JPG
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

By the way, the Baroclem sticker is from Kilamanjaro design.
Fasthound330

Post by Fasthound330 »

Wow…looks fantastic.
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911