Where to go for painting Ferrari vintage wheels

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

Where to go for painting Ferrari vintage wheels

Post by DrewA »

Hi folks,

I have a 79 Boxer whose wheels need painting. They are outgassing and the paint is bubbling. Not correctly prepped the last go around.

I've tried to find someone in the Alabama or Georgia/Atalanta area (I'm in Tuscaloosa) who is experienced with these but have not come up with a good solution I feel comfortable with.

I think my path is going to be to have the tires removed and remove the trim ring and splines and ship them to someone who still does this work.

Would appreciate any names, references, etc., to help me on my way.

Regards,

Drew Altemara
tyang

Re: Where to go for painting Ferrari vintage wheels

Post by tyang »

Hi Drew,

I've had mixed results with wheels. I have not done a set of "concours" wheels in the sense of exact color matching and degree of gloss, or lack of. You can imagine the rabbit hole of choices and opinions that are out there. I think your Boxer wheels also have decals on the rim? I've been having the street driven car's wheels powder coated with the extra step of baking the wheels before the powder is applied to get the moisture out of the magnesium. It works well most of the time, but have occasionally had a blister form. It's not a problem when my powder coater is close and will re-do the wheel if there is a problem.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
enio45

Post by enio45 »

can u post a pic of the wheels you have?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Tom - these are early Boxer wheels. I do not believe they have the decal. I think the BBi (vs BB) wheel, which I believe are metric, had the decal but don't take my word for it.

I'm not looking for concourse just something that is pretty close and does not bubble up after 2 years.

Bo Pirkle in Atlanta (did work FAF) use to do this work and when he did mine they lasted over 10 years but Bo is retired and the painter who worked with him is no longer alive.

Supposedly they have to be primed with zinc chromate.

I'm out of town right now but as soon as I get back I'll send post a couple of pictures.

Appreciate you guys taking a look at this.

Drew
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Here are some pictures of the out-gassed Chromodoro 512BB Mags. One pic of each wheel. Might have to enlarge to see detail. Drew
Attachments
IMG_3600.jpg
IMG_3600.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg (25.54 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
IMG_3598.jpg
IMG_3598.jpg (25.3 KiB) Viewed 4680 times
IMG_3597.jpg
IMG_3597.jpg (23.68 KiB) Viewed 4680 times