Ptoblems with seals for front and rear screens

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Melchior

Ptoblems with seals for front and rear screens

Post by Melchior »

I have problems with the fit of the rubber seals for the front and rear screens. The rubber is not shaped correctly so that there is a gap between the chrome trim and the seal. The chrome trim is in correct shape, it is definitely the rubber that caises the problem.
I bought the seals from Cicognani and would like to know whether anybody had the same issue and what could be the solution for it.

Is there any other supplier providing these seals with a better fit?

Best regards, Martin
Attachments
IMG_0886.jpeg
IMG_9944.jpeg
IMG_9942.jpeg
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
330GT

Re: Ptoblems with seals for front and rear screens

Post by 330GT »

The J section of the stainless steel trim may not be fully seated in the slot in the rubber. That could hold the trim up off the rubber in places. You might have to remove the glass again and make sure that the rubber is flush with the trim all around before re-installing it.

You might try tapping in the affected areas with a clean rubber hammer to see if the J section isn't fully seated. This runs the risk of bending the trim or marring the metal surface. It could possibly break the glass too.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Martin,

Everything changes through the years. If you had the chrome trim replated, there is always a chance that it can change in shape slightly through the polishing process. I think the Cicognani are extrusions, but the dies can change over time. The window opening can also affect the fit. Kerry is probably right where the hook in the trim is not catching the lip in the rubber gasket. What kind of lubrication are you using? I personally like window cleaner because it has just enough lubricity to allow the parts to slide, but dries out so the chrome pieces can lock into the rubber.

I don't know any body else that is making these gaskets for GTEs.

Take the assembly apart and make sure the chrome trim matches the profile of the glass exactly. It may have gotten tweaked when it was chromed. Since you're doing this before paint, make sure the window opening matches the glass and chrome trim exactly as well.

At the risk of telling you something you already know, before you put the glass into window opening, check to see if the chrome is flush with the rubber. As it's installed, pressure needs to be put on the chrome trim and rubber gasket at the same time someone is pulling on the rope from inside the car. Sometimes, as the gasket lip gets pulled over the pinch weld inside the car, the pressure pushes out the chrome trim.

Good luck, and know it can take several attempts to install a piece of glass. No one I know enjoys the job, and it is rarely enjoyable!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Martin, is the seal molded unevenly or does its cross-section change from one point to the next? If not, then the seal is not your problem.

john
PF Coupe
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts and expertise! We will try installing the seal again based on your hint.

Regards, Martin
Melchior

Re: Problems with seals for front and rear screens

Post by Melchior »

i organised a piece of this seal from Cicognani to provide a sectional view. It is definitely the make of the rubber seal that prevents a proper fit. I modified the pic a little to give better visibility - the trim does not hook into the rubber deep enough. Does anybody have a recommendation for a seal that fits better than the ones from this supplier?
Attachments
be0951b1-64bc-4611-b327-0e4c8e2c0106.jpeg