Window Channel Felts and door adjustments

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Window Channel Felts and door adjustments

Post by Tom Wilson »

Having disassembled the door to get the kick panels off, it seemed like a good time to replace the window cable and generally clean up the inside. My door does not close all the way and I cannot figure out how to adjust it. I believe that on an earlier thread it was said you could loosen the door clasp and slide it, but that must be on a 330. My Series III 250 does not appear to move. Any suggestions?

Also, Tom, when searching your restoration diary for window felts, I ended up rather confused as to what you ended up doing. Did you go with the Metro felts, the ones you bought at Hershey or the spares Fransois had? I have ordered a Metro catalogue and will check it out. Also, how did pop riviting the felts work out? Are the rivits visible when you open the door?
matt

Post by matt »

Tom: I had the same door closing problem with my 275gtb. I first removed all the rubber trim and carefully closed the door to see how the fit was. I was much better. I purchased new rubber from Tanner @ferrari parts exchange.The doors are 90% better. I have been warned that taking apart a door and messing with the cables is very tricky.Tanner also has the window felts. You can also deal with matt @ re-originals.They have some great parts,but expensive...
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Yes,replacing the cable is a challange and I haven't gotten it quite right yet. However, as it was busted before, I can't make it any worse! I will try to post some info on it when I get it right.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
matt

Post by matt »

Tom: I forgot to tell you that Lyle Tanner has 2 types of rubber trim.I bought the softer of the two.The old rubber on the car got hard, obviously causing more resistance when closing the door.When you measure for the new rubber,don't short yourself. I had one inch extra.Too close for me....It is expensive.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom (Wilson),

I used a combination of Francois' and stuff from Restoration Specialties in PA
http://www.restorationspecialties.com
I picked the felt from Hershey because the oversize shipping of the 8 foot length was almost as much as the felts! They look like they have the window channel stuff for a lot cheaper than Re-Originals.

Pop Riveting was fine, and I colored the heads in with black marker to make extra sure you couldn't see them (Don't tell anyone!).

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Tom - I was looking at the photo of the side of your door in the lastst Diary posting and cannot see the rivits used to attach the window felts. Didn't they come through to the side of the door? That is my concern about using rivits.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom (Wilson),

One felt attaches to a chrome trim piece that then attaches to the outer door shell.
The other one is on the painted trim piece that mounts over the inner door panel.
There's plenty of room behind these pieces for the rivets.

I hope this makes sense!

Tom (Yang)
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Gotcha. I thought you were riviting on the window channel felt pieces, which would show on the outside of the chrome window surround strip. The photos make everything clear!
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

No, those I glued in place with contact cement.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053