Daytona AC Belts

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

Daytona AC Belts

Post by DrewA »

The Daytona AC takes two belts. My car is a 1973 Euro SN 16733

Both Eurospares and Maranello Classic parts list two different sizes.

One is 320393 13x690

The other is 320393/a 13x670li

After corresponding with Maranello Classic parts I am still confused on what to order.

Anyone run into this before and can help me out.

Drew
Jimmyr

Re: Daytona AC Belts

Post by Jimmyr »

These belts are usually sold as matched pairs, possibly that is the part numbers for 1 or 2. Got my matched pair from Bill at GT Parts, he carries these ask him.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Drew. I just went through this PITA with my 1972 American Daytona #14599. One of my belts just shred and was illegible, the other one we measured as best we could, and ultimately, we settled on two of these:

A/C Belts=Gates/O’Reily/MasterPro 7270 (7/16 X 27 13/16)
Alterator=7340.

However the rearmost built slips a little, and we were unwilling to take it all apart again to try to find another belt, potentially with the same problem. Having said all of that, my notes indicate that you might also consider:
Dayco belts 15275 or 15270.

Since my car is a nice driver, but will never see the show field under my watch, I felt that the choice of belts that were easily returned was a better one for me than ordering them from an outside vendor. If I can help, don't hesitate to drop me a PM. Steve.

NB: We found that calculating the equivalent of inches into millimeters, the catalog sizes, actual sizes, and sizes listed on the belts themselves never correlated worth a hoot. It was not exactly trial and error, but close!
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks Steve,

Yes.

I've done this before and it was a real PITA getting the AC belts on. The ones I put on came from T Rutlands and I think they were too big and mine slip and have become shinny.

Maranello Classic Parts and Eurospares show the belt size as 690mm but are out and the alternate says "AC smaller size"; 670mm. As tuff as I remember it being I don't want to try to wrestle with something that is going to be more difficult than before.

The Gates belt you show translates to 706mm not to far off from the 690mm original. I'll have a look at the Dayco ones as well.

I think I may order 2 of the Gates or Dayco and 2 for the 670mm. It's not so much the money, it's getting these put on and having them not slip.

Thanks for your lead and Merry Christmas.

Drew Altemara
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Not sure if O'Reilly carries Dayco; I don't think so, but not certain. At any rate, exchanges with them were really easy, I should know ....I made five different trips with various belts. My car now knows the way to their store by heart! Stay in touch. Good luck, Steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

One additional factor that makes these belts hard to change are the motor mounts. If the motor mounts have started to compress due to age it makes the space between the belts and the frame and pulley very close and hard to slide the belts past them.
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Jimmy,

How true, how true.

Last time I did this I ran into that problem and ended up replacing the two front motor mounts. Just about had the engine out and all stuff disconnected. As I remember my biggest problem was getting the belts over the AC compressor pully as there was very little clearance between the pulleys and engine block.

Well I'm 10 years older and wiser now but also 10 years weaker. :)
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Since this discussion began in the late fall, my Daytona turned one of the AC belts over and shredded the other one to bits. It also did modest damage to the alternator belt. So we went back with the O'Reilly brand belt.#157270. As I said before, there is some subtle length differences in belts, despite carrying the same designation, such as "7270". It is possible to do this job by slipping the belts down from the top. The trick is to slide the compressor in order to create a gap between it, and the balancer, and then slide the belts in thata way.
steve meltzer,
BobA

Post by BobA »

With two belts, the trick is to get a "matched set". There is a mold number as belts are made multiple belts wide and cut apart after making. The number molded into the belts indicates compatible belt sets. Often they are sold taped together with tape indicating " Matched Pair".
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Bob, thanks so much. Who dathunk that AC belts came as identical twins. s
steve meltzer,
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Hi folks,

Thought I would document my progress, or lack of, and a question.

What a thankless job! Everything is tight.

My 10 year old AC belts were slipping. They were purchased from T Rutlands 10 tears ago and they were 725mm. Big enough to get on the pullys but at the end of the AC adjustment. After 10 years bound to slip. I ordered the Dayco 15270 belts - they appear to be just under 700mm. I got the belts in place but there was just not enough length and lack of access to slip them on. Tried like heck - maybe I am doing something wrong. They made it under the harmonic balancer and with the compressor adjustment all the out and a little tug made it between the balance and compressor. Just not long enough to get on both pullys with the compressor adjustment all the way in.

I ordered a new set of belts for Euro Spares. They are listed at 720mm and should be here later this week. A little expensive but after all the time I have in this it's not going to beat me. It's supposed to be a hobby - right?

Any hints for installing the belts. Did you install over the balancer pully first then the compressor pully or vice versa. Appreciate all comments.

Regards,

Drew Altemara