330 GT headlamp/rings and gasket - series II

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

enio45

330 GT headlamp/rings and gasket - series II

Post by enio45 »

Im getting close to restart the assembly of my 330 GT car -

trying to sort a few details - i have seen a variety of different headlamp, headlamp chrome and rubber gasket mounting approaches.

specifically 2, one where the chrome ring when mounted to the bucket assembly touches the back of the ring to the body flush
and option 2, where the chrome ring sits on the headlamp bucket gasket and does not touch the body at all, meaning the gasket is between the ring and the body.

considering the gt car series two is the same HLamp assembly and ring, this would be true for the GTC and GTS as well?

any thoughts on originality to the appropriate mounting?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
tyang

Re: 330 GT headlamp/rings and gasket - series II

Post by tyang »

Hi Ed,

This is just my opinion, so take it on face value. I can't speak for the judges of the FCA and what they're ruling.

I feel there should be a gasket between the chrome ring and the body work like your version 2. These cars are pininfarina built cars, and probably are the same for GTC, GTS, and 2+2s. The logic comes from the way the head light is assembled. The headlight bucket has a rubber gasket with a lip that fits between it and the bodywork. This lip is revealed between the body and the chrome trim ring when everything is installed. I know the rubber gasket that is often sold today is a little smaller in circumference than the headlight ring, so it often does not stick out far enough to give a reveal.

Here's a photo of 330GTC 10767 that I won a preservation class at Daytona several years ago. It had the gasket between the headlight ring and the body.
10767_68.jpg
Tom
'63 330 America #5053