Plug wire installation

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Rob330

Plug wire installation

Post by Rob330 »

Hello all,

After removing the spark plug wires out of their guide tubes and getting the tubes wrinkle coated I am
having a hell of a time getting the wires all tucked into the tubes again.
They are Packard 7mm wires and look like the same diameter as the ones previous but I am having real trouble
getting them out of the small second of the end holes when there is one wire already coming out of
the end. It is just very tight in there. I want to coat them to make them slip easier but I doing want to
removing any coatings that my be on the wires.

Has anyone had the same experience ?

Rob
enio45

Re: Plug wire installation

Post by enio45 »

just use some silicone paste - or spray....then cleanup afterward....wires will slid right in
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Ed, the grommets make this task especially tough. I typically pull them from the exit holes with a pilot string. Pull the cable right up to the exit hole, then, if necessary, fish it out with hook.

john
PF Coupe
enio45

Post by enio45 »

yes agree, i usually install the grommets and fish the wire thru the grommet end first and with the silicon it slips thru pretty easy. ALSO
, i found to open up the holes slightly where there grommet fits into to give u a little more room.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Lube the wires with silicone spray, insert them through the small end with the grommet first and easily push them to the large open end. Should be no problem at all. I have done dozens and dozens of engines that way.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

All good tips offered. Try pulling the front wires first. As for the grommets, if you cannot push them into the tubes try cutting the lip off of the end that inserts into the tube and add a drop of super glue if it will not stay in. Additionally, if you use solid core wire crimp and solder the wires to the terminals. This will insure a good connection even after several plug changes.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Rob,

The 330 tubes are usually easier than the 250 tubes. Like everyone says, use silicone spray. Start with the longest run first. I sometimes cut a beveled point on the end that's getting pushed through. I save the grommets for last after the wires are run. Don't forget to label the ends to save you time later when installing the wires to the distributor caps!

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

Thanks for all the support, I have both sets done and it gets easier with experience. I found an
old bottle of GM Silicon Emulsion, it is a silicon paste . If i coated it with that it would stay on
longer than the spray and helped a lot. I also used a guide wire for a few to help pull it through.

Fuels pumps are next.

Thanks again, Rob.