Undercoating

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Melchior

Undercoating

Post by Melchior »

I must define the areas for the undercoating now and ask for your help please. My research brought me to this conclusion:

a) wheel housings (inner fenders)
b) floor panels up to the aluminium trim/strip left and right
c) kardan tunnel (both, the fixed metal part and the removable aluminium part)
d) underside of the boot
e) underside of the tank

It seems that the undercoating was sprayed on once the tank was in the car as it is reported in the forum that the north wall is coated completely (obviously there was no obstruction for the spray gun). Then the sides are sprayed about half way, because the leaf springs were in the way.

My biggest question is about the frame. I think it was undercoated as well as the factory probably did not scotch tape it to prevent the spray on the frame, right?

Any comment highly appreciated!
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
tyang

Re: Undercoating

Post by tyang »

Yes, I've seen lots of undercoating sprayed onto the frame in the curved sections rising over the rear axle.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Melchior, Tom: After I researched undercoating many years ago, I came to the conclusion, it was applied by the following method:

1. A man actually laid on his back under the car and shot the undercoating straight up toward the body/chassis. This is why the sides of the frame and other areas are not fully coated.

2.He then moved from directly under the car into the engine compartment from underneath and knelt on his knees and shot undercoating around the compartment with the gun held about chest level when kneeling in the compartment. That is why the engine compartment undercoating fades away as you go higher in the engine bay.
tyang

Post by tyang »

DWR46 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:37 pm Melchior, Tom: After I researched undercoating many years ago, I came to the conclusion, it was applied by the following method:

1. A man actually laid on his back under the car and shot the undercoating straight up toward the body/chassis. This is why the sides of the frame and other areas are not fully coated.

2.He then moved from directly under the car into the engine compartment from underneath and knelt on his knees and shot undercoating around the compartment with the gun held about chest level when kneeling in the compartment. That is why the engine compartment undercoating fades away as you go higher in the engine bay.
You forgot to mention the man applying the undercoating probably did this with a cigarette dangling from his mouth and wearing no protective gear!

Thanks for your insight Dyke!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053