Column mounted indicator switch repair

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

xs10shl

Column mounted indicator switch repair

Post by xs10shl »

Has anyone successfully repaired the hard black plastic which holds the aluminum turn signal/light stalks to the white plastic column mount? Mine are cracking, and I'd like to take a stab at fixing them prior to hunting down a replacement (which may be in just as bad shape!). I've been told that glue doesnt work, but perhaps there is some other trick?

The archive makes mention of someone considering making a batch of these plastic pieces about 2 years ago. Any word? Also, I remember reading about a CAD company that turned 3-D rendering of a 330 GTS plastic piece into a physical object for $300 or so . . . or was that something I dreamed?

BTW, car is a 365 GT 2+2.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

I was one of the people attempting to make the pieces. An acquaintance was going to make the pieces out of Delran using CAD/CAM. He's been busy and my set-up is presently working, so I haven't been pushing. I'll give him a call tomorrow.

I'm not sure if it matters, but the reference piece is from a 330 2+2

Regards,

Art S. 7919
Deane

Post by Deane »

I disassembled mine a couple of years ago and glued it very sucessfully with Loctite's plastic adhesive from the hardware store. This seems to be a CA-type adhesive, but a small bottle of primer is included in the package. I carefully sanded the finished repair and sprayed that section satin black. It looks great and has held up just fine.

Ther's also a fellow in Southern California who has a side business restoring old switch assemblies. He does excellent work. Unfortunately, it's hard to find out who he is! I think this fellow prefers to deal with professional restorers and the trade. Maybe Francois or Patrick Ottis would know, or could forward your switch to him? I believe he charges about $600-1000 fixed rate - Loctite's glue might be the ticket to try first.

If you take your switch apart, watch out for the little spring-loaded flying detent balls!
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Thanks you guys for the tips. It looks like I can repair the turn signal and washer stalk in the manner suggested, but the headlight stalk is beyond repair. I'd guess that a piece from a 246 Dino or 365 Daytona will work, but I'm not sure about the 330 GT 2+2- I'll have to make a run to the local shop to do a visual inspection.

The cheapest (but least fun) solution looks like to ship the unit to GT Car Parts and have them fix it.