Wire Wheel Repair

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

treue

Wire Wheel Repair

Post by treue »

Hi Guys,

I got my spare Borrani back from Dayton Wire Wheels and it is GORGEOUS!!

When I got my car (67 2+2, No. 9129) the spare appeared useable, but was dirty, had bent spokes, rusty nipples, a rusty hub, a chunk out of the outboard rim and the remains of some sort of permanent coating on the inboard side (ceramic or powder coating?). Being from Dayton, Ohio, I knew about Dayton Wire Wheels (now Dayton Wheel Concepts) and was partial toward them. Thinking I had to get the aluminum rim fixed myself, I tried to take it apart with a home-made nipple wrench. This rapidly became an exercise in how to break nipples, so I called Dayton and Mike Edgerton said they could fix the rim as well as the rest of the wheel. After I mentioned to them that I was going to visit my mother in Dayton over Christmas, Robin O’Brian volunteered to drive to Mom’s house while I was there and pick up the wheel.

The repaired wheel was delivered to my home last week. I held my breath as I opened the box. Imagine my delight when I saw a wheel that belongs in a museum! The repair of the rim was invisible. The hub had been polished and re-chromed to perfection. The rim was also perfectly polished, with the data stamping still legible. The spokes and nipples had all been replaced. To top it off, they installed a new rubber nipple band (instead of the old duct tape) and a Borrani sticker on the hub flange. To say I was pleased is an understatement. It cost $400 including shipping (More or less work would probably change the price.) and was well packed for return shipment. The only down side was a wait of four months, but since the engine is still out of my car, a long lead time was not a problem for me. I highly recommend Dayton for restoration of your Borranis.

The carbs should be back from Pierce Manifold next month.

Tom
Tom Treue
67 330GT 2+2, No. 9129 (former owner)
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

I second Dayton Wire Wheels work. I had them redo 4 rusty wheels, and they all came back in brilliant condition, with stainless steel spokes, borrani stickers, and a perfect polish. Total cost: about $1600.

It does take about 4 months, so throw on the alloy rims if you got 'em.
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Wow, that seems like a bargain. That's about the same price for a single wheel from www.tawvehicle.com, the official Borrani U.S. importer.

Will Dayton make a set of RW-3812's from scratch?
tyang

Post by tyang »

I've got a two RW-3812s for sale if anyone is interested. They're rusty, but rebuildable.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053