Why do older Ferraris have such huge turning circles?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Matt F

Why do older Ferraris have such huge turning circles?

Post by Matt F »

The turning circle of my 330 GT is huge--something like 45 feet.

For low speed maneuvering, like parallel parking or 3-point turns, this makes the car pretty difficult to drive around town.

Surely the cars could have had the same steering feel and steering ratio, while keeping a tighter turning circle. Coudn't they have? (Ferrari does it on more moder cars: the 360's turning circle is 35 feet.)

Does anyone know why the turning circle is so wide?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
67GTC

Yeah, I've noticed a huge turning radius as well

Post by 67GTC »

On my 67 GTC the turning radius is 39 ft! Driving on narrow beach town streets here in LA makes it feel like a bus sometimes.
1967 330 GTC
S/N: 10539
Deane

Post by Deane »

A little throttle while in the corner will tighten things up a bit... or a lot :). At least if you're driving on skinny Coker Michelins like I am.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

My 1983 400i also has a turning circle of 40 feet and I am constantly getting surprised as I maneuver in parking lots by having to back up before getting into a space.

I would guess that the front suspension design doesn't allow as much steering lock as on some other designs.

John
John Ashburne
1983 400i 5 speed, silver/black
rwills

Post by rwills »

I think the reason is all in the name of the car - GT. These cars were designed as Grand Tourers, not as nimble movers around tight spaces.

Roger
1959 Ferrari 250GT PF Coupe 1479GT
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hello All,

O.K., I'll throw my two cents in and theorize this:

I don't think the early designs in the chassis, and suspension allowed the movement needed for a tighter turning radius.

Modern rack and pinion allow much more movement with power steeing for ease. Imagine how many times you'd have to turn that large Nardi wheel to get a tighter turn without decreasing the mechanical advantage?

If the later cars with rack and pinon still have large turning radii, then my theory is shot!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
horner

Post by horner »

All of the above sound relevant. My additional observation is that we have long wheelbases. Our '81 Mondial 8 w/ rack & pinion had a wheelbase similar to the 330 GT at approx 104 inches. That made for a 42 foot turning circle & the 330 doesn't feel much more nimble in that regard. Must be part of the "Charm". If ya want "turn on a dime" performance may I suggest a London Taxicab; they can practically do U-turns in a single bay garage. I'll admit that when trying a fancy parking manuever in the 330 it can get embarrassing, but then I'm the one w/ the real grin on my face. LJH
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I think that Tom's guess is the best suggestion so far. A modern steering rack would be more versatile than a worm-and-roller setup.

But still, there are actual steering stops that limit the radius. It's not the wheelbase, and it's not the steering ratio. It's those steering stops, shown on page 78 of the owner's manual. Why are those little devils there?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Matt,

I think you would get some tire to inner fender interference without those stops. It may not be obvious at first, but consider where the tires would be at full compression anf full lock.

I know I have a splash shield that rubs when I have the wheels turned tight, but this may just take some persuasion with a hammer.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tspringer

Post by Tspringer »

My early V12 front engine Ferrari has no issues at all with turning radius. Its typically takes about 15 to 20 feet total radius for a 180 degree turn, usually about the same or just a tad more for a full 360 degree turn. You just need to use the proper technique.

Rev to about 5000rpm. Slip the clutch just a tad, floor the throttle as it engages fully. Turn the wheel at the same time. It takes some practise to judge when to let off the throttle to halt rotation at the exact position you desire.

This is best done with the windows rolled up.... tire smoke frequently stinks. Also, spectators may not appreciate it.... though some may actually cheer and clap enthusiastically!

Terry