Overdrive problems

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tim

Overdrive problems

Post by tim »

Tom, one other thought. Check the voltage at the solenoid with the engine not running, when the solenoid works, and running, when it doesn't. Do it with a digital meter as they can be more sensitive. It takes a certain amount of juice to run the engine and if the charging system isn't quite doing its job, there might not be enough left. That solenoid takes a chunk of power to pull in and then a small amount to stay in. tim
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tim,

Good idea. The thought occured to me this morning when I woke up! The battery I'm currently using is weak, so I plan to pick up a new one next week. I sure hope it's electrical, because getting the overdrive fixed will take away valuable driving time!

I'm tempted to engage the overdrive manually to make sure it works, but this would require driving the car in fouth gear with the transmission tunnel off. I don't think I have the guts to do this with the driveshaft spinning inches away from my elbow!

Tom
tim

Post by tim »

Wimp!!!! Been there, done that, don't recommend it. Another thought is to try a jumper directly from the battery to the solenoid. tim
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tim,

This wimp wants to live long enough to see a completed car!

I could probably do it if a passenger could flick the overdrive lever located on the other side of the transmission. The dangerous part is for me to do it while driving the car, and reaching over the transmission while traveling at over 45 mph!

Tom