GTE repaint in progress

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

lukek

GTE repaint in progress

Post by lukek »

My car was the lucky victim of vandalism, so it is getting repainted. It turns out that the previous color was too dark for Grigio Argento Metalizatto. I thought I would put it back since the factory says that was the exact hue. It should be ready for the Palo Alto show on June 26th, if not earlier for my birthday !
I do not think I have ever succesfully uploaded pictures to the discussion board, but it never hurts to try again.

http://lukekowalski.tripod.com/fera1.jpg
http://lukekowalski.tripod.com/fera2.jpg
http://lukekowalski.tripod.com/fera3.jpg

thx
luke, SF, CA

[/img]
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Metal work having been completed, paint is next for my SII cabriolet. Who's painting your GTE, how did you select them and what sort of prep work are they (or you) doing? My recollection of your car's color is a medium gray, so what steps are you taking to insure that the new color covers everything it should?
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Luke,

Looks like your shop is doing it right. Are they going to take the glass out also? Since you are changing the color are you repainting the dash?

Good Luck,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
lukek

Post by lukek »

It is being repainted by Frank Zucchi restorations in Livermore, CA, right by the Livermore Lab. I was initially sent to Brian at Perfect Reflections, but his painter ended up in the hospital, so the wait was too long. I am very happy with Frank and the quality of his work. He is doing 98 percent of it, I only staightened the grille and played with some trim pieces. I should also mention that Hagerty was great when it came to paying for this somewhat pricey repaint. If someone is shopping for insurance, I have never gotten better customer service (I am sure they put something in the corporate water cooler, they are **too** helpful).

I had all the glass taken out and even got a new windshield from Shaughnessy. Gaskets were available as well, but not cheap.
The color that the car is being painted is only a little lighter than the silver that was on there, so this is not really a color change. The dash has a little spot of surface corrosion. After reading about Tom's dash project, I feel like that is another project. I might get the "while in there" disease and feel compelled to do the gauges, dash pad, etc....IOW, I will not be repainting the dash at this point. It will be a little off. See how much at Concorso for yourself.
The only problem is that the car will be almost too nice to drive...Which will not stop me.

thx
luke
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Luke:

Your car is looking great. I have to second your comments about Hagerty.
They treated me more than right when I had a very minor amount of body damage, and are always very pleasant to deal with. They have the formula and attitude down pat for dealing with collector and exotic car owners.

The local Dallas shop that has a monopoly on exotic body work wants what I see as a fortune for a bare metal up job. I can live with the silver exterior, especially since the repairs, but find myself thinking about a new interior rather than spend more $$ to upgrade what is marginal now in terms of leather and carpeting.

What should come first, a new interior or a repaint? I'm soliciting opinions.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Luke,

I can't wait to see your car. That silver is my favorite all time color. It looks at home on every old Ferrari.

David Booth --- what color have you chosen? Hopefully silver, blue or something similar...

john
PF Coupe
fest

opine

Post by fest »

did some one say OPINIONS?

my vote is Paint FIRST
interior SECOND
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
lukek

Post by lukek »

Having the car apart allows you to do the interior with more efficiency. So....the answer is: do both, at the same time.
I know, I am not helping.
How about this: The interior is less $, so pick when you want your big or ssmall hit to the wallet.

Repeat after me...IRAs are overrated. I cannot budget for a mistress. Restoring a Ferrari is a fine grade investment. Amen !

[quote="bluecat49"]Luke:

Your car is looking great. I have to second your comments about Hagerty.
They treated me more than right when I had a [i]very[/i] minor amount of body damage, and are always very pleasant to deal with. They have the formula and attitude down pat for dealing with collector and exotic car owners.

The local Dallas shop that has a monopoly on exotic body work wants what I see as a fortune for a bare metal up job. I can live with the silver exterior, especially since the repairs, but find myself thinking about a new interior rather than spend more $$ to upgrade what is marginal now in terms of leather and carpeting.

What should come first, a new interior or a repaint? I'm soliciting opinions.[/quote]
tyang

Post by tyang »

IMHO, Paint first, Interior second. The sanding, spraying, and prep work involved in paint creates alot of dust that can work its way into carpet, and the stitching of the interior which is VERY hard to clean out. Even if you hermetically seal the interior, dust will still find a way in.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

Car looks great Luke!
Too crass to ask for a ball park idea of what this paint/prep will cost?
64 330gt 2+2 #6413
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

tyang wrote:IMHO, Paint first, Interior second. The sanding, spraying, and prep work involved in paint creates alot of dust that can work its way into carpet, and the stitching of the interior which is VERY hard to clean out. Even if you hermetically seal the interior, dust will still find a way in.

Tom
Thanks, everyone.
I think my question has been answered. Better to spend another $500.00 fixing up a few things. Hey, it's supposed to be a DRIVER, and here I dreaming about a new bare metal paint job, new interior....
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

I've always done paint and interior in the same stream of work and Tom's comment about the perils of doing the interior first makes good sense.

JV: my Cab was originally Grigio Fumo - a fairly dark gray, with black interior and wine-colored rugs, which is what it's going back to. The Pininfarina bodies from this era look nicest to me in a darker color, although I once saw a Series I Cab in a silver color that knocked my socks off.

My car had been painted twice - a marooo and then the ubiquitous Resale Red before it came to me. Both times, the car was painted VERY thoroughly, but not very skillfully. I had always sort of equated the two, but guess I was wrong. It took some doing to finally locate some of the original finish, which was about two square inches, and found on the upper steering column bracket. Tom can attest to what a hidden part this is, which should illlustrate how much effort previous painters put into getting the color everywhere it could be seen.

David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Of course, that would be MAROON in the previous post. Marooo would be more like howling at the moon.

To complete the thought, the previous paint jobs devoted a great deal of effort to disassembly of the pieces of the car, including trim and a lot of things that are not easily removed. But the quality/ skill level of the paint application was only fair, and led to a lot of checking in the area between the hood opening and the fender crests (too much paint). Maybe the evidence would indicate an owner with more time than money trying to help keep the re-paint cost down by doing a lot of the grunt work himself, but screwing it up by selecting the low bidder for the actual paint work.

Let's see if I can attach a pic of the stripping work to this post. If successful, I'd be glad to post a few others.[img][/img]

David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Okay, that didn't work. Any help on attaching pictures? Anyone?

lukek

Post by lukek »

acording to the faq, it is not possible to upload pics to the site, but you can post a url to a public server (yahoo, lycos, whatever host you use).