Car hauler Suggestions

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

xs10shl

Car hauler Suggestions

Post by xs10shl »

After much deliberation, I've decided to place a small investment in a used Car Hauler (Flattop, if you will). My reasons for wanting this has less to do with keeping my cars in "concours" condition, which they are not already. It's just that many of the great California driving roads are just too far from my house, and the bumper-to-bumper traffic I incur just to get to them can be pretty nerve racking. Plus I'll be putting waisted freeway and/or city miles on my car just to get to the fun places.

I've decided to go for the all-in-one solution with a flatbed truck, instead of buying a trailer, because my sense tells me that flatbedding a car is safer than towing a car on a trailer (but I have no data to prove that).

Question for the group - does anyone have any suggestions on what to look for here? Does anyone else in the group have a trailer/flattop setup that they like, or can recommend? Any interesting/horror stories they can share?

Thomas
fest

trailer

Post by fest »

from experience (not mine but of several close friends)
a Trailer is much more diesireable (and practical)
than buying a specialized Car Hauler:

Insurance, registration, etc is a great deal cheaper
(no emissions, to pass, either)
low/no maintainence costs
car is protected (hidden, too) with enclosed trailer
can 'dump' trailer off (leaving car secured) when destination reached
and readily drive tow vehicle around
tow vehicle can be used for many purposes
(as opposed to car hauler with single purpose)
can upgrade tow vehicle and keep trailer
easier to store trailer (and lack of use will be much less of a factor)
choice of Tow Vehicle / Trailer combo wide range of choices
choice of Car Hauler very limited choices
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
lukek

Post by lukek »

If you get a car hauler, pick one of the two extremes:

a. enclosed truck hauler, with mini shop, giant paddock canopy on the side, and sleeping quarters above the cab (hot tub in an option).

b. alum. open trailer with ramps, hydraulic brakes

thx
luke
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
horner

Post by horner »

For your flatbed option, such as used by towing companies and AAA, you may need a commercial drivers license. It will also be insured differently, and you may have difficulty convincing your ins co that you are using a commercial piece of equipment solely for personal use. They are also probably much more expensive than the following ...

Most privateers that I know use an enclosed, lightweight trailer, double axle, towed by a sturdy pick up truck or heavy duty SUV. Room for the car, extra equipment, spare wheels/tires, etc., and secure. If you go this route and the trailer has a "beavertail", you may still need ramps as the tail may not support the weight of a full sized car. LJH
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
JAshburne

Post by JAshburne »

Regarding your thoughts about relative safety with the flatbed versus the trailer, I think that a properly set up and balanced enclosed trailer with a good tow vehicle and electric brakes for the trailer is an extremely safe alternative.

I have towed a 20 foot enclosed trailer with a vintage Turner in it from Connecticut to Canada, Virginia, Pittsburgh, New Hampshire and of course, Lime Rock many, many times in the past 5 years and have felt comfortable in every situation.

I would support all of the suggestions to use a trailer (enclosed or open) instead of the flatbed approach.

John
John Ashburne
1983 400i 5 speed, silver/black
erik330

Post by erik330 »

FWIW, I've been towing stuff since about 1976. While a car hauler is a great idea, I think you would like a trailer better. I tow a 24' (which is big) double axle, torsion suspended covered trailer with electro/hydraulic brakes and a chassis mount equalizing (torsion bar) receiver hitch. I use a GMC Yukon XL Denali as the tow vehicle. I recently completed a 1500 mile towing trip pulling the trailer and the 330 GT I bought. I paid $5300 for the trailer and you can't imagine how handy having a trailer is.
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I'm going to re-examine my options in the coming weeks.
xs10shl

Re: Car hauler Suggestions

Post by xs10shl »

BTW I know everyone was waiting to see what I was going to do, so I'll update you now - I ended up buying a Featherlite trailer in 2005.

Now you are all up to speed.