Welding of exhaust mounts ...

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Pete

Welding of exhaust mounts ...

Post by Pete »

... Antonio knew he had forgotten something on that 330GT America chassis he was working on earlier, but the call of the latin beauty, pasta and red wine beckoned :)

Well, Tom the build sheet for your car can finally be stamped completed, probably ... unless you find a few other jobs that just never happened 30 years ago.

Quality control ... what is that the Italian in the seminar audience was heard whispering ...

Is it possible to combine the passion and soul of Italian engineering and quality ... I'm still wondering about this one.

Pete
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Pete,

Nope, don't blame the Italians on this one! The floorpans were replaced on this car, and with it, the out riggers, rockers, and exhaust hangers.

You can blame the poor design of the floopans on the designers though! Every GTE I've seen has some kind of rust in the floors. They used a fiberous material between a sheetmetal sandwich. Not only did it insulate against sound and heat, they also did a great job trapping water. My replacement floors are single ply.

Tom
Pete

Gee ...

Post by Pete »

... I feel terrible giving poor Antonio such a hard time :)

Did not realise that your floor pans had been replaced ... but would not have surprised me on a effectively hand built car for them to have been missing ... although exhaust mount issues come to mind.

All (old, not sure about new) Alfas come with built in rust, thus I can see no reason why a Ferrari would be any different. They either have the most amazing weather or the latin beauties and red wine are causing problems again :)

Alfa Suds have this foam stuff pumped into many chassis box sections that help with sound deadening and possibly rigidity of the car ... but if any water gets in ...

Pete
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Pete,

Either it was planned obsolescence, or ignorance, but old cars had so many water traps that it's so rare to find an absolutely rust free car.

On old Mustangs, there's this pocket of steel behind the upper control arm that traps mud and water. When it finally rusts though, it opens the inside of the front frame continuing the rot from the inside out! When you take a modern car apart, you rarely see these water traps anymore.

François was telling me about Daytonas where they have a tendency to rot right over the rear wheel arch. The factory sprayed some kind of foam behind that panel as well that rots from the inside.

Tom