330 2+2 Instrument Removal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jsa330

330 2+2 Instrument Removal

Post by jsa330 »

My tachometer and clock need rebuilding, and I want to remove everything from my early-330 painted dash, repair odds and ends behind, and polish it up to perfection.

The problem is that I have found no good instructions for removing the instrument pods - they're different than on a GTE or America. Parts manual shows very diagrammatic info only, and I've searched the database here but found nothing specific. Can I get the pods out without removing the dashboard or is it easier to just take it all out and have good access to the stuff behind?

My plan is to remove all the instrument pods and ship them to Palo Alto Speedo for tach and clock rebuild, minor speedo restoration and whatever cleaning and adjustment the other instruments require.

Help and suggestions from those experienced with this would be much appreciated.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
330GT

Post by 330GT »

You can remove all of the gauges without removing the dash.

See http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari/Gauges.htm for details and pictures I took when I cleaned my gauges.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
JimB

Post by JimB »

You may want to consider getting your clock modified to a quartz movement. Palo Alto overhauled my clock and instruments, but the clock only works ocassionally. I have to give it a thump to get started and then it runs for a few minutes. The overhaul on the clock was quite expensive and I'm back where I started with a non starter.

Jim B
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

JimB wrote:You may want to consider getting your clock modified to a quartz movement. Palo Alto overhauled my clock and instruments, but the clock only works ocassionally. I have to give it a thump to get started and then it runs for a few minutes. The overhaul on the clock was quite expensive and I'm back where I started with a non starter.

Jim B
Jim B:

I've thought about doing the quartz and hanging onto the original movement. Everyone I mention quartz to considers it sacrilege. Other than the clock, were you happy with Palo Alto's work?

Kerry:

Thanks, I'll check it out on your page.
JimB

Post by JimB »

Palo Alto is VERY proud of their work and charge accordingly. I think I paid $250.00 for the clock repair. It runs now and again but only for a couple of minutes, hardly worth that kind of money. The deal with the quartz movement is the way the second hand moves, big deal. At least you have a clock that actually works. The clock in my car is in a cluster that is a real pain to remove. I decided to just let be a non runner. Expensive lesson.
Be sure you and Palo Alto have a clear understanding of what you want done and hope they give you an estimate.

JimB
tyang

Post by tyang »

I think D&M is worth looking into. I've seen their work, and it's VERY good. Mike's prices are at least the same as Palo Alto. He's currently doing the gauge faces for all us 250 owners, and has done all of Francois' restorations for years. I can't think of a better endorsement.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Re instruments:

JimB, may I ask what car you own? I'm planning to take the interior out of my car (again) and am prepared for unknown difficulties, but if you've got any specific caution on removing the pod I'd like to hear it.

The mechanic who works on my car, a 25 yr. Ferrari/Lamborghini man, told me there is no place that he would send vintage instruments here in Dallas and recommended Palo Alto.

Tom, thanks for the D&M rec. I will talk to them as well.

My general question on 330 instrument removal has been answered-- thanks to Kerry. For those who are also interested, he describes the process in detail, with great photos.

My watch works fine; maybe I should forget the clock altogether, but then that air vent mechanism behind the center of the dash needs a look and it would help to have the inst. pod out...quartz sounds better and better.
JimB

Post by JimB »

I have a 66 330gt. Kerry has some great photos on his site for helping take things apart and back together.
If I ever decide to redo the clock it will be quartz. Be damned with the sacrilege.
Palo Alto said they replaced all the inner workings, apparently they were new defective. It was out of their warranty period by the time I got around to reinstalling the clock, so I was S.O.L.

JimB
Michael Bayer

@##@$#%%%$*&!! Clock

Post by Michael Bayer »

I found that when I Dremel Tool polished all of my fuse contacts and repalced those cursed lead link fuses with the modern same shape glass repacements that my clock ran, and ran well. At the additional time and near zero cost its worth a shot, Michael Bayer 1967 330GT #9727
JimB

Post by JimB »

Thanks Michael, but been there done that with the fuse panel to no avail. I cleaned and remade all electrical connections throught the car during restoration.

JimB
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I believe the Veglia clock suffers from the same thing that all electric clocks suffer from in most cars. Mechanical clocks have a spring that needs to get wound much like an old wristwatch. This is accomplished in the car by using a small electromagnet that winds the clock whenever the spring looses tension. Points inside the clock touch when the clock needs winding, and this engergizes the magnet.

Besides the usual wear on the points, this contact area wears faster in a car with a weak battery. When low voltage is applied across the points, they don't pass enough to current to engergize the electromagnet, and instead, arcs the points. This arc is usually what kills the clock, as the oxidation makes the points useless.

I can see where cleaning the fuse panel allowed more current to pass giving Michael a running clock, but sometimes the damage is already done, and the clock will have to be disassembled to clean the points.

I use a battery cut-off when the car is not in use so there is less wear and tear on the clock. Yes, it's a pain in the butt to always have to set the clock, but it's at least right twice a day!

Here's what I did with my clock.
http://www.tomyang.net/cars/ferrari.html?ferrari108.htm
Although this was 4 years ago (!), Mike charged me $115 to fix my mechanical clock. Alot cheaper than Palo Alto!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Michael Bayer

^%$%$##$%^%clocks

Post by Michael Bayer »

Agree w Tom, the damage is probably done, since you have the proper juice flowing to it. M
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

I just spoke with Mike at D&M, and he said there are several different clocks Ferrari installed in our cars. The clock in my car, has a front face winder and is the worst of the Veglia clocks.
The internals were cheaply made, and often times can't be fixed for long.

The clocks that have a bottom winder although still labelled Veglia, were Swiss manufactured, and are very nice clocks. He hates to see these clocks destroyed for quartz replacements.

There is a third type that seems to fit with a gauge cluster that leaves very little room for a quartz movement.

I think his prices are better than Palo Alto, and is worth a look! Tell him I sent you.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

JimB wrote:The deal with the quartz movement is the way the second hand moves, big deal.
There are quartz movements with sweep hands now. It'll be more silent than a mechanical movement, but it will look original. (Just keep the engine running during a concours!)

--Matt
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Tom - Did you have any problems with your clock sitting around for so long before it was powered up? I am thinking about sending my clock to D&M with the cloudy gage faces, but am worried about it sitting around for some time. However, since the chrome tabs on the trim of the clock break so easily, it seems a good idea to have the clock fixed now, while the face is already off.

By the way, I have emailed Mike at D&M about this and have not gotten a reply. His phone has also been busy every time I call. Is his contact info on the Suppliers page still accurate?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com