330 GTC (or other?) Electric Window Emergency Crank

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

WillS

330 GTC (or other?) Electric Window Emergency Crank

Post by WillS »

I recently acquired a supposed 330 GTC emergency window crank for use when the electric window motor quits. Does anyone have a picture of one they can send me or point me to, so that I might tell if I lucked out? I don't want to pull off a door panel if I don't have to. I will send a picture of the crank to anyone interested--perhaps the crank works on other models.

Thanks,
Will
giovanni44

window crank

Post by giovanni44 »

Hello WillS ,
I received an emergency window crank with my GTC when I purchased it and know from experience that it is correct. If you send a picture or a tracing of the one you have, I can tell you if it is correct. Perhaps this will help you. The distance from the business end of the crank to the edge of cross pin nearest to the end of the crank is 1.057 or 1 1/16 inches. The diameter of the cross pin is .157or 5/32 inches and is .433 or 7/16 inches long with its length equally divided on each side of the main shaft. All fractional dimensions are approximate, decimal sizes are actual.

Best wishes on your purchase,

Giovanni
Deane

Post by Deane »

Giovanni,

Does your crank have an actual separate pin mounted into the shaft? A window crank I got from a well-known Ferrari salvage guy was swaged to create small ears that stick out to engage the window mechanism, rather than having a crosswise pin.

Maybe I need to get a different crank?
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
WillS

Post by WillS »

Giovanni, thanks for the offer. If you PM me your email address, I will send you a picture of my window crank. My crank doesn't have any cross-pins in it. It has a small helical-cut gear on the end.
Regards,
Will
'66 330 GTC
giovanni44

Emergency window crank

Post by giovanni44 »

Hello Deane
The design you mentioned is just a different twist on the same concept.
The purpose of the ears or cross pin, is that it/they engage a internal slot in the drum that the window cable winds/unwinds on. Regarding the pin on mine,it is pressed into the shaft and that press fit is what retains it in place.
Hope this helps you.

Giovanni
Deane

Post by Deane »

Giovanni,

Thanks, I'll try to exchange my swaged-pin crank for one with a pressed-in pin.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
WillS

Post by WillS »

Deane, Giovanni, and All,

I bit the bullet and removed the driver's side door panel to confirm Giovanni's helpful reply and description of the correct GTC window crank. It turns out that the helical-gear type crank is not correct, at least not for my early GTC (s/n 8843). The crank Giovanni describes would fit my window winder mechanism, not the helical-gear type crank. I took some pictures of the mechanism and will send them to anybody who is interested (PM me your email address).

So, the hunt unfortunately continues. If anybody comes across an extra correct emergency window crank for a GTC/GTS, I would be very grateful if you would let me know about it. I would pay cash or swap my helical-gear type window crank plus cash for a correct one.

Anybody have any idea what car the helical-gear crank fits?

Thanks,
Will
'66 330 GTC
Jim

Post by Jim »

Fits Daytona, per Tom Shaughnessy
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567