Tar Top Battery

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Jim

Tar Top Battery

Post by Jim »

Dear Tom,
I saw your latest Restoration Diary entry concerning your tar top battery. Here's my experience with these batteries: They are antiquated in design and performance. People use them because they are period correct/look better in the vintage setting of the engine compartment. However, I have found that they have short, fitful lifespans, that I believe is mainly the battery's fault, but exacerbated by the limited charging capability of the Lucas system. It's my strong opinion that once these batteries deeply discharge (i.e., dead), they never come back to a functional level of performance.
In Monterey last August my tar top, which for several months had not been happy after a deep discharge (negelcted at the shop), gave out in the middle of a rally. I kicked started the car and bought a modern battery of correct size and post position at a 76 station. I was bummed because was having the car judged at the FCA meet the next day. But, I found out judges do not deduct for a modern battery! I suspect that so many people have had problems, that for the sake of reliability, safety, and sanity, this is accepted.
The performance of my new battery is superior, with no maintenace. Of course, I keep it on a trickle charger-I just don't trust Lucas. It's appearnce in the engine bay is acceptable, I hear some people paint them up to mimick an original more closely.
Jim
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

I saw an ad somewhere for a fake battery top with the caps and everything that would fit over a new battery--supposedly looks convincing. I wish I remember where; I wouldn't mind having one.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Deane

Post by Deane »

If you peel the stickers off af an AC-Delco "professional" series battery, it looks like a plain black box with terminals - not a bad compromise for having a trustworthy battery.

But any standard automotive battery will be severely compromised by going flat even once. It's best to use automatic battery charger to top off the charge every few weeks or so through the non-driving months.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
Koll

Post by Koll »

All batteries will decline in output if not charged.

Rather than charge it, use a "BatteryMINDer". It send not only a low trickle charge to the battery, but it will break up low level sulfating (sulfate material from the grids falling off and settline to the bottom) with ultrasonic pulses.

All this is completely safe. It doesn't overcharge and you can leave it hooked up for years and be greating with 12.65+ volts of engine cranking zots when you fire the key.

http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12v_1a.htm
matt

Post by matt »

One company that makes modern batteries that look vintage is antiqueautobattery.com. One of these with a sticker from Parker Hall looks pretty good. I am not sure of the quality. I ended up with one from Sears, and after pealing off all the stickers I am happy with it.
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

matt wrote:One company that makes modern batteries that look vintage is antiqueautobattery.com. One of these with a sticker from Parker Hall looks pretty good. I am not sure of the quality. I ended up with one from Sears, and after pealing off all the stickers I am happy with it.

Thats what I was thinking of.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. Once I get the Ferrari to place where I can use it regularily, I hope some of my battery issues will go away. I have a battery tender that will maintain a charge, along with the other regular battery chargers, but it getting them plugged in at other people's shops that's the problem.

I'll see if I can breathe a little more life out of the tar top battery, or I'll just go and buy a regular battery for the Ferrari.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Most batteries will not last long if deep discharged more than a few times, even worse if they are the older non maintaince free types. As for all black batteries, the NAPA line looks quite well, and with Parker Halls stickers look nice under the hood/bonnet. As stated FCA does not deduct for non origional batteries, but I must agree some of the bright colors on some batteries are a distraction! As for the Ultima gel batteries, they work very well, but look bad. Moss motors (the British car guys) sell a slip over cover that makes them look like normal batteries - but I am not sure of the color. Jim Riff
lukek

Post by lukek »

I had an old battery in my car (not maintenance free), and I was concerned about it, so I replaced it with a Group 27 DieHard model. I did not feel like paying $230 for a vintage style one that would probably leak. This way, I can just run back to Sears if something goes wrong. I can also get some stickers from Parker.
I guess the original battery might look something like this:

http://www.fantasyjunction.com/search.p ... auto:FJ110

(see engine pic)
luke
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
Koll

Post by Koll »

Is that your car Luke?

OMG that is soooo nice.
lukek

Post by lukek »

I wish...No, it is a gtc at a local dealer. While I have toyed with selling mine (a GTE) at times, I am not ready yet...Those new gauges, man....
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.