Blaupunkt on E-bay

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Blaupunkt on E-bay

Post by tyang »

Hi All,

There's a blaupunkt radio that looks right for 250GTEs on e-bay right now. It may not work, but worth a look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1873654838

I have no affiliation with the seller.

Tom
treue

Post by treue »

Hi Tom,

Would this Blaupunkt be right for my 67 330 2+2 (9129)?

Found a shop, Jim Lewis (Vian, OK, (918) 773-8075), near me that has an excellent reputation. I haven't seen it but Jim says the combustion chamber damage on the right head has been repaired (no sweat, says Jim) and the valve seats replaced with custom made parts. I have a set of Manley valves ordered that should be here in the next few days. Now I'm working on new teflon valve seals. Manley has some that fit over a .500 and .530 valve guide but mine has a .417 dia. boss that projects above the stop collar on the guide, so won't take the Manley seals. Anyone know of another source of teflon valve seals? The ones currently in the engine look like a stock item.

Thanks for the site, Tom.

Tom Treue
330GT

Post by 330GT »

There's also another Blaupunkt on ebay that 'came from a 330'.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1873903827

I don't know about Blaupunkts, but a Becker radio was also installed in a lot of 330s. The Europa model (mono) is appropriate for 330 GT series 1, 250 GTEs, etc. The Europa II (stereo) would be correct in any series 2, GTC or GTS car.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

It is my understanding that the Blaupunkt Frankfurt is also proper for the 250 GTE. I hope so, as I already have a bid in on the first radio that Tom pointed out! I found a Blaupunkt site that told how to identify the approximate age of Blaupunkt's by the letter in front of the serial number, which is:

K = 1956-1957
S = 1957-1958
G = 1958-1959
Q = 1959-1960
D = 1960-1961
E = 1961-1962
T = 1962-1963
U = 1963-1964
V = 1964-1965
W = 1965-1966

A related question I have is regarding speaker location. My 250 GTE currently has 6. One on each side of the center console, which I am guessing came from the factory. Then I have 1 in each footwell, foreward of the door and one on each side of the rear seat. I am guessing these last 4 were added with the installation of the current Audiovox Cassette deck. However, all 6 speaker grills are the same and are red (to match the leather), which seems unusual, as off the shelf speakers are usually chrome or black. They do not seem to have been repainted. Any thoughts?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

Good luck on the bidding.

My speaker was mounted on the center of the back deck under the rear window. Since all these radios were mono, I would question the originality of any pair of speakers, even the two on the sides of the console.

Tom
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I guess I left out one detail on the console speakers. There are speaker grills on both sides of the console, but a speaker only on the left side. I assumed someone had removed the right side, but maybe the grill was there to allow air in to cool the radio. I will also have to check the back deck to see if there is a speaker hole (it currently has white shag carpet glued to the leather deck. Probably not standard!)

As it appears that the radios were installed by the dealer, not the factory, I suppose the speaker locations may vary as much as the antenna locations. My only feeling is that I should I eventually enter the car in a show, I would not want to be counted off for putting the speakers in a "non-standard" location, even if it was correct.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

If you can prove your location is original, I would try to keep it and not change it to what is the norm. Accurate pictures, and good proof will sway a judge's position, and may even teach them a thing or two! Erasing originality for the sake of conformity should not be!

After that speech, I would still question how original those speaker holes are!

The hole on my back deck was crudely cut by first perforating the panel with a drill, and knocking it out. I'd be curious to see what's under your shag carpeting. Just try not to obliterate all signs of the 70s! (Just joking)

Tom
tyang

Post by tyang »

To Tom Treue,

Damn, too many Toms! The second Blaupunkt is probably closer for your car, but I would use Tom Wilson's guide to help.

You might want to start another string for your question on the valve seals, but who made your valve guides? Have you tried calling Geoff Ohland at Partsource?

Tom Yang
jsa3

Blaupunkt on Ebay

Post by jsa3 »

My soon to be (I paid for it yesterday) 330 2+2 Series I, s/n 5409, has a painted dash as opposed to wood, and a neatly installed but obviously home made console, with a radio, installed between the bottom of the dash and the transmission tunnel. Speakers are installed in the side panels under the rear side wndows, cut thru the leather and backing material - again, neatly done but not original. My questions:

Were all very early Series I 330's produced with painted dash? If so, up to what s/n?

Were consoles installed at all in Series I cars?

Were radios installed at all in the cars with no consoles? If so, how?

I recall a road test in Car and Driver from the mid 1960's which compared a 330 2+2 4-headlight with a Pontiac Grand Prix "2+2". The Ferrari had a painted dash and no console. Another photo, in Keith Bluemel's "Original
Ferrari V-12", shows a Series I with wood dash but no console and no radio. The text doesn't mention painted dashes.

I'd like to have a radio but want to get rid of the homemade console and speakers in the back seat area. I guess I could look for an old 330 SII console, then it would be at least semi-correct.

Thanks,

Scott
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Scott,

Congratulations! I would love to see pictures to post in the owner's gallery as soon as you get them!

I'd imagine if the car came with a radio, they fitted a console, since nothing else went in there. You'll probably have to find a early console since the interim cars and Series II cars had 5-speed transmissions so the shape of the tunnel may have changed.

I've also seen a separate box that sat over the transmission under the dash that housed the radio. It was leather covered to match the interior, but I doubt this was original either.

Tom
Yale

Post by Yale »

Some but not all very early 330's came with painted dashes, all black as far as I know. Any era 330 could have an optional radio mounted in the optional consol. My Series 1 console is leather covered fiberglass, and I would think they all are like this. The consoles in the Series 1 and Interim 330s that I have seen only had the radio and 1 speaker, (oh and a lipped storage area and the ashtray.)

The separate box that Tom Yang is speaking about came in earlier model Ferraris not the 330s, but as we all know, since these cars could be ordered in any way the customer wanted, anything is possible. There is even talk of a 330GT with a Formica dash.

Yale
jsa3

Blaupunkt on Ebay

Post by jsa3 »

The formica dash is mentioned in the same paragraph in the Keith
Bluemel book.