330 Sought

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

mdw3

330 Sought

Post by mdw3 »

I am a prospective first-time vintage Ferrari buyer, and I had initially been drawn to the 330 GT2+2 Series II cars, because of their classic '60s vintage styling, entry-level price and usability. However, after some time looking, I have not been able to find a vehicle that I really feel good about, mechanically and cosmetically (and financially). I am now considering stepping up the search, and looking instead for a GTC, which many have advised me will probably have the added benefit of decent financial return, being a generally more desirable car. My questions are twofold:

1. Do you generally agree or disagree that the GTC is a better long-term buy than a 2+2, at current price levels?

2. Does anyone know of any nice cars, both GTCs and 2+2s, currently available (or about to be available)? I have looked in the FML and the usual spots, without much luck.

Thanks!
Michael
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Hi, Michael. Welcome to the world of vintage Ferraris!

I'm openly biased in favor of the 2+2's, both the GTE, 330 America, and the 330 GT. I think that they're a comparative bargain in the Columbo-engined V-12 world.

The 330 GTC is a great car, but I don't think that the current market pricing makes a lot of sense. Most examples for sale are awfully close to Daytona prices, and I think I'd much prefer a Daytona.

On the other hand, I don't think that they should be worth a LOT more than the 2+2's, particularly the 330 GT. Personally, I prefer the lines of the 330 Gt over the GTC, and the rear seats are an added bonus. The GTC does have independent rear suspension, although the GT's live rear axle is so well located that I don't think you'd ever miss the difference on the street.

Personally, I think that the prices of GT's will increase slightly over the next few years, and that the prices of GTC will fall slightly. Just to put that into perspective, I also think that 275 GTBs are near their highest values, and Daytonas may increase some. There seems, to me at least, to be some disconnect between prices and desirability and rarity.

So I guess I do disagree that a GTC would be the better investment.

As for finding a car, I'd suggest that you keep looking. Not that many cars are available at any one time. However, if you really feel the need to speed up the process, someone like Tom Shaughnessy can certainly help you out.

I wish you the best of luck in your search!

--Matt
tyang

Post by tyang »

Ha, Ha, Ha, Did you hear that guys? He wants decent financial return on a Vintage Ferrari! That's a good one!...

Oops, sorry Michael, that's the obnoxious New Yorker coming out of me! Seriously, welcome to the forum, and I hope we can guide you in your endeavor!

Some things when buying a Vintage Ferrari are the same as when buying any other collector car. One of them being to buy the best example you can afford, where the previous owner spent the lion's share of the expenses restoring the car. Although the initial price may seem high, the relative cost of paying for the same work to be done on a similar car will always be higher. The problem I see is there are more Vintage Ferraris that need attention than perfect restorations ready for sale. The other problem is rarely do any of us follow that advice!

My advice is not to look at the investment potential, but rather how much you like the car. If you desire a GTC, and can afford one, buy one. If you can afford a Series II 330 GT 2+2, and like it over the Series Is, buy that one, but don't buy it because it's a good investment. The reason being, that if the market plunges, or the car needs more work than you initially expected, you'll at least be spending money on something you're passionate about. If you want to make money, realize even a conservative mutual fund will make you money, and you don't need to store it in a garage!

Hope this helps.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

I looked for a solid year before I found my car, and it finally happened was with the help of another regular on this board. You are in about the best place you can be for extremely knowledgeable advice and leads. Welcome to Tom's place.

There don't seem to be as many 330 2+2's for sale now as there were two years ago, but then I'm not obsessively tracking the market any more.

If I was going to trade up vintage Ferraris and could afford a GTC, I would be looking at Daytonas, just because the 4-cam, 6-carb beasts appeal to me, not for $ reasons.

I've been very happy with my 330. It was a semi-barn-find and needed reconditioning, but now is a great looking and sounding reliable driver that I don't hesitate to jump into and take off.

I could care less about investment value, in terms of making big bucks on it eventually. I wouldn't sell it for any less than I've spent, so I will probably have it a long time.

Good luck and don't hesitate to post questions.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

I feel that the best of all worlds as far as value, performance and looks, you cannot beat a 365 GT 2+2 and I am not saying that because I have one for sale (hint-hint)

In all seriousness, the 365 is very exotic looking, power steering, 4 wheel independent suspention, 4.4 litre, very robust.

Keep your eyes out for one locally to test drive, you wont be dissapointed.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Stephenm,

I agree with you on your assement of the 365 2 + 2. My brother has one and it is strong runner with plenty of pep. Good for long distance drives as well. I am keeping my eye open for one.

Regards,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001