Anyone in the St Louis area?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Michael Bayer

Anyone in the St Louis area?

Post by Michael Bayer »

Guys: My quest for a GTC/4 has led me to a car in St Louis, one that has made frequent guest appearances on E Bay, before I waste yet another plane trip to see a car with only slightly resembling the ad, has anyone out there seen this car? It is resale red and located at Charles Schmitt & Company 3500 South Kingshighway BLVD St. Louis, MO 63139 currently, the only GTC/4 on E Bay. Michael Bayer 1967 330GT # 9727
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

That car looks pretty nice, and they have been in biz a long time. However, I spoke with the owner, when the car was first offered and he was pretty arrogant about having PPI. ("Our cars are as we say they are, and in our experience, a PPI is a waste of everyone's time and money") When the car dropped to 49K, I sent him an email and he was a liitle more agreeable to a PPI, but not specific. Never did understand how the car got 2 bids of about $56K when the reserve was $59K, yet when the price dropped $10K, there wasn't a single bid!! (??shills??)

Also, I don't understand why a car that didn't sell for $49K would be re-re-offered at a higher price! (maybe that's why I'm not a business man.) I would love to know more about the car, and hope that if you go see it, or purchase it, you'll post your findings. Could be a great car at a fair price.

I bought the black/black 330 gtc that was in Canada, advertised in Hemmings in about Sept or so.

steve meltzer, neophyte Ferrari owner
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Michael Bayer

GTC4

Post by Michael Bayer »

I had a similar experience with a dealer in Michigan on another GTC4, who used nearly the exacy words when he refused to validate their car's compression numbers, which were grossly out of line with the records that dealer provided with the car, even when I agreed to pay for the test! Were there any significant records at the dealer on this car? M
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I don't know anythng about the records on the red GTC/4 in St. Louis..I never got that far. Too, bad, 'cause I was interested, but his attitude really turned me off, and by the time he'd softened some, I was onto the 330 gtc. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Yale

Post by Yale »

Come on Steve fess up here. Tell us about your GTC. What shape was it in when you got it? How much was it? How easy was it to bring in from Canada? What's it like, etc. Best, Yale
DMC

Post by DMC »

I know someone that was looking at the same GTC. I'm interested to hear what you think of it.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

The car is, in my opinion, a 2-/3+ car that is better mechanically, than cosmetically. Still it needs a WP, has a radiator leak and leaks oil frm the distributor flanges. Lots of recent repair records, no books or records, but the Heritage sheets are there. The car drives very well, and has 8' paint, I would say. Interior is nice, but not as good as advertised. Seller was a quiet, honest individual, very nice and accomodating and very easy to deal with. I had the car checked by Terry Myr in Port Huron, Mighigan.
I wish the car had Borrani's, but alas it wasn't to be. As I looked the car over, I had the same feeling about the car that I did when I first saw my '62 'Vette....solid, honest car, should make a very good driver, but would need a fortune to be a concours car. I was right about the 'Vette, which, 8 years later, I still drive often; let's hope I'm right about the gtc.

I never discuss finances of this nature in public, but the asking price was $95 and I paid significantly less; about the right price I think....no bargain, but reasonable.

I'll post the list when the car has it's Texas title and let you know how hard or easy it was. thanx for your interest. steve meltzer, neophpyte Ferrari owner with the anxiety to prove it.
steve meltzer,
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Did your friend in Wisc see the black/black gtc? What were his thoughts? I was under the distincit impression that no one else ventured north to see that car. steve
steve meltzer,
Michael Bayer

Great car!

Post by Michael Bayer »

Steve: Welcome to the Colombo community! Occasionally the proper numbered Borrani wires in ones or twos show up on E Bay. I needed just one and looked for a year until I found it. Another path to wires for your car is Dayton Wire Wheel, they are making a very close replica, and the price is right. I saw them at pebble Beach, not concours but they looked good and strong. Michael Bayer 1967 330GT #9727
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Michael, thanx for both the welcome and the tip about the Daytons. If the stock market giveth what it taketh away in the tech crash of 2000, Borranis might be an option, as might a real resto on the car, but for now a decent driver is more my style. s
steve meltzer,
DMC

Post by DMC »

IIRC, he drove the car, said it was strong. Sounds like the same car from your comment on the paint.

He passed on it partly because of the interior - I think he said that the color was originally tobacco or orange, and had been converted to black, except for the headliner. He wasn't sure that he could keep it as a driver - make the interior correct, then do a repaint, and suddenly you're into the car for a lot. He's still looking for a driver, just one that's a little closer to correct.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

That makes sense to me. I believe the car was originally, or at least at one time, maroon and some sort of tan. The headliner is sort of a tan, and like a lot about the car, is very serviceable, but would be better replaced. I'm gonna try to keep my compulsive personality in check on this car, at least for awhile. steve
steve meltzer,