Ferrari Register, around the corner?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Enzo250GTO

Ferrari Register, around the corner?

Post by Enzo250GTO »

OK here is the page I have for a Ferrari register (which we had spoken about earlier on this site). This is only the submit page ( I omitted the submit button but it works with the db so its ready to go). I have the domain ferrariregister and will probably use that. Here is a link to the submit page I've created

http://www.ferrariforum.net/register/submit/

Please comment on what you think should be added. It will take me a number of years to fill in the register but I think this is at least a good start. Once I get some feedback I will begin the code to display everything. I'm also hoping to create a section for the owner to login with a password to update the his car when needed and to allow the transfer of SNs from one owner to another.

Overall I think this tracks the history from owner to owner fairly well as well as details during that time.

I will also improve little things with the registration form (IE drop down dates to reduce margin of error etc).

Last if anyone would like my database structure feel free to contact me. This way we can delegate models to those that want to keep track of a certain model. I'm also considering making a section that will allow people to administer the database for volunteers that would like to be in charge of maintaining a specific model.
Enzo250GTO

Post by Enzo250GTO »

Ah I just realize I should have a year field after model as some models were made over more than one year. Will fix that asap.
treue

Post by treue »

Enzo:

What is the nature of your registry? There are already two 330 registries and, I assume, some for other models.

Tom Treue
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

In the section on colors, interiors etc, you may want to have two sections, one for the original state and one for the currents state. As for the date of manufacture, you may want to have a way to account for the fact that we may not know the exact day the car was built. We can estimate from the serial numbers, but the month is probably as close as we can get.
Enzo250GTO

Post by Enzo250GTO »

Tom Wilson wrote:In the section on colors, interiors etc, you may want to have two sections, one for the original state and one for the currents state. As for the date of manufacture, you may want to have a way to account for the fact that we may not know the exact day the car was built. We can estimate from the serial numbers, but the month is probably as close as we can get.
Tom,
Thanks for the input. I will take this into consideration. I've been trying to think of the best way to do this for both interior and exterior and its been difficult for the database end.
treue wrote:Enzo:

What is the nature of your registry? There are already two 330 registries and, I assume, some for other models.

Tom Treue
Tom the nature of the registry is to provide an registry for all models. You are correct. There are many for other models (400, 308, 348, to name a few) but I want to see a registry that tracks the history of all Ferraris. Yes its difficult but not impossible so I'm going to try my best (and hope others will help as I get it going). Of course the beginning will have some flaws but its an on going developing project which I know will improve with time as I address issues as they arrise.
Pete

You can create another if you wish ...

Post by Pete »

... but www.barchetta.cc has an amazing one which traces ALL Ferraris race and road and gives all the history and latest prices, etc.

Why create another when it has been done so well? ... is there other imformation you want to store?

If I ever want to check anything about models of other Ferrari history that is where I go ... in fact if I was about to buy one I would have a look at that site also.

Your call, but duplicating effort will cause future arguments as which site, etc. if right. Far better for us all to help one site become difinitive, and barchetta have got it so far it is amazing.

Pete
Enzo250GTO

Re: You can create another if you wish ...

Post by Enzo250GTO »

[quote="Pete"]... but www.barchetta.cc has an amazing one which traces ALL Ferraris race and road and gives all the history and latest prices, etc.

Why create another when it has been done so well? ... is there other imformation you want to store?

If I ever want to check anything about models of other Ferrari history that is where I go ... in fact if I was about to buy one I would have a look at that site also.

Your call, but duplicating effort will cause future arguments as which site, etc. if right. Far better for us all to help one site become difinitive, and barchetta have got it so far it is amazing.

Pete[/quote]
Yes they do a wonderful job but how extensive is there register? It is good for older models.

Can I do better? Not sure until I try, but I hope to (I think I can improve the user friendlyness of the whole experience). I'm not trying to replace Barchetta or compete with them. I want to do this more for my own enjoyment and for others that would like to access this information quickly and with ease. I may just try to compile a few of my favorite models and be done. Point is I have to start somewhere.
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

Enzo,
There is always room for the best. If your site is the best, then by by Barchetta! I have not found a site yet that wasn't missing some important information.
Enzo250GTO

Post by Enzo250GTO »

Sleeper wrote:Enzo,
There is always room for the best. If your site is the best, then by by Barchetta! I have not found a site yet that wasn't missing some important information.
Sleep,
What you say is very true but I like to be modest. Barchetta's site may look nice but the page is over 100k. Anyone with a 56K modem connection probably gets real pissed waiting 30sec for the page to download. I know I get pissed waiting 10secs. The site has way too many graphics and very link opens a new window (very annoying and a big webdesign NO NO).