330 GT 2+2 market values

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: 330 GT 2+2 market values (long)

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for the rebuttal. My opinions are just that, and am glad to hear another point. Getting accurate compression values for each cylinder would make me forget the small details in the engine compartment, but these are often the clues that can make me look for other problems.

Since he was asking $47,000 in '97, I wonder if the dealer wants a few more thousand to make some commission. $50K to have a nice old Ferrari? Maybe. Buy carefully!

Tom

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for the rebuttal. My opinions are just that, and am glad to hear another point. Getting accurate compression values for each cylinder would make me forget the small details in the engine compartment, but these are often the clues that can make me look for other problems.

Since he was asking $47,000 in '97, I wonder if the dealer wants a few more thousand to make some commission. $50K to have a nice old Ferrari? Maybe. Buy carefully!

Tom

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Jonathon,

Tom

wwwboard

Re: 330 GT 2+2 market values (here I go again)

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Hi Tom and Michael,

No No, it wasn't a rebuttal!  You're absolutely right about concern with the engine, after all, they are the heart and soul of any Ferrari.  New paint and good leather certainly are great, but imho these are secondary to a strong engine and running gear, and dependable brakes!

I honestly don't know what the asking (or reserve) price is for that car today, but any buyer should become knowlegable on a models strengths and weaknesses then do a comprehensive prepurchase inspection. The hard part is then deciding what you can live with or take the risk on, and if you can afford the parts and labor to fix it, or are willing to scrounge and do the work yourself.

Key, I think, is deciding how your going to approach ownership - for the experience and fun of it, for investment and profit, or somewhere in between?  Start with a restoration project, a daily driver, or a museum piece requiring Italian air for the tires?  Then decide how much you're willing to spend, see if these expectations line up, and go get the absolute best Ferrari you can find. You only live once after all.

I'm in the restoration for fun corner and was not slowed down by the need to rebuild the engine/ brakes/ well everything on 7537, but then my car was also priced commensurately.  So take my perspective with a grain of salt!

Cheers,
Jonathon

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Hi Tom and Michael,

No No, it wasn't a rebuttal!  You're absolutely right about concern with the engine, after all, they are the heart and soul of any Ferrari.  New paint and good leather certainly are great, but imho these are secondary to a strong engine and running gear, and dependable brakes!

I honestly don't know what the asking (or reserve) price is for that car today, but any buyer should become knowlegable on a models strengths and weaknesses then do a comprehensive prepurchase inspection. The hard part is then deciding what you can live with or take the risk on, and if you can afford the parts and labor to fix it, or are willing to scrounge and do the work yourself.

Key, I think, is deciding how your going to approach ownership - for the experience and fun of it, for investment and profit, or somewhere in between?  Start with a restoration project, a daily driver, or a museum piece requiring Italian air for the tires?  Then decide how much you're willing to spend, see if these expectations line up, and go get the absolute best Ferrari you can find. You only live once after all.

I'm in the restoration for fun corner and was not slowed down by the need to rebuild the engine/ brakes/ well everything on 7537, but then my car was also priced commensurately.  So take my perspective with a grain of salt!

Cheers,
Jonathon

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Jonathon

Hi Tom and Michael,

Cheers,
Jonathon

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Michael

What are the correct (or tolerable) compression numbers for this engine?  How far apart do they have to be to worry?

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Michael

What are the correct (or tolerable) compression numbers for this engine?  How far apart do they have to be to worry?

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Michael

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Michael,

I'm not sure specifically, but I can ask my mechanic the next time I speak to him. +/- 5% is the general variation that would seem acceptable for a good engine.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Michael,

I'm not sure specifically, but I can ask my mechanic the next time I speak to him. +/- 5% is the general variation that would seem acceptable for a good engine.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Michael,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Jonathon,

I'm still glad I'm getting another opinion to the original question. All too often, people become self professed experts simply because they have $20 bucks a month to put up a website! I do not want to  be one of those people! I can post my opinion, and my knowledge, but I'm certainly no expert!

I give the same advice to everyone who asks about buying their first Ferrari. Educate yourself on Ferraris. Look in FML, Hemmings, Sports Car Market, and E-bay. Get a feel for what these cars are worth. Understand what things cost to repair, and when you think you've found the right car, have a third party mechanic do the pre purchase inspection. If it's THE CAR, take a deep breath, buy it, and prepare yourself to spend some money fixing things even on a perfect car! That's just the nature of these things.

I'm never going to get my money and time out of my restoration project, but that's not the point of my car. I'm paying for the experience of having a dream come true. I'm learning how to be an old school craftsman, and when I'm done, I'll have a Ferrari to drive! "There are some things in life money can't buy!"

...but if you want to get into these old Ferraris, you've got to be sure you want it. That way you'll fully enjoy hearing that V-12 engine at full song, and be understanding when it needs $400 dollar distributor caps!

Good Luck!

Tom
 &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Jonathon,

I'm still glad I'm getting another opinion to the original question. All too often, people become self professed experts simply because they have $20 bucks a month to put up a website! I do not want to  be one of those people! I can post my opinion, and my knowledge, but I'm certainly no expert!

I give the same advice to everyone who asks about buying their first Ferrari. Educate yourself on Ferraris. Look in FML, Hemmings, Sports Car Market, and E-bay. Get a feel for what these cars are worth. Understand what things cost to repair, and when you think you've found the right car, have a third party mechanic do the pre purchase inspection. If it's THE CAR, take a deep breath, buy it, and prepare yourself to spend some money fixing things even on a perfect car! That's just the nature of these things.

I'm never going to get my money and time out of my restoration project, but that's not the point of my car. I'm paying for the experience of having a dream come true. I'm learning how to be an old school craftsman, and when I'm done, I'll have a Ferrari to drive! "There are some things in life money can't buy!"

...but if you want to get into these old Ferraris, you've got to be sure you want it. That way you'll fully enjoy hearing that V-12 engine at full song, and be understanding when it needs $400 dollar distributor caps!

Good Luck!

Tom
 &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Jonathon,

Good Luck!

Tom
 &nbsp