330 GT 2+2

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: 330 GT 2+2

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

It's great to hear everybody's feedback! I have been searching The internet, Hemmings, and classified adds for the 'right' car. It's becoming more and more apparent to me that purchasing a turnkey car is going to put me over budget. It sounds like a project, or partial project is what I am narrowing down to.
Anybody have any good leads on one of these things?
I have considered other makes of imported cars (auston, iso, jag, porsche,etc) however when I go over the options, I keep coming back to the fact that I could buy a midyear Vette, and have just as much fun with a lot less hassle. The problem, is if I'm going to spend that much in the first place, then I want a Ferrari.
If I have to buy a non complete car and start with a V8 to get it on the road, then slowly acquire the correct components, I see no harm. I've noticed by reading Tom's site, that the love of the project is what counts. As long as I don't cut the car in any way. Hell, I work for a metal shop...we can make almost anything!
Good leads as always are appreciated, and I thank everybody so far for their input and advise.

Matt
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

It's great to hear everybody's feedback! I have been searching The internet, Hemmings, and classified adds for the 'right' car. It's becoming more and more apparent to me that purchasing a turnkey car is going to put me over budget. It sounds like a project, or partial project is what I am narrowing down to.
I have considered other makes of imported cars (auston, iso, jag, porsche,etc) however when I go over the options, I keep coming back to the fact that I could buy a midyear Vette, and have just as much fun with a lot less hassle. The problem, is if I'm going to spend that much in the first place, then I want a Ferrari.
If I have to buy a non complete car and start with a V8 to get it on the road, then slowly acquire the correct components, I see no harm. I've noticed by reading Tom's site, that the love of the project is what counts. As long as I don't cut the car in any way. Hell, I work for a metal shop...we can make almost anything!
Good leads as always are appreciated, and I thank everybody so far for their input and advise.

Matt
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Matt
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

if you are still looking for a 330 project Gary Roberts in ca has a nice one there is some pretty major engine damage but the parts are out there otherwise I have looked at the car myself and it is in decent shape for around 14,000
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

if you are still looking for a 330 project Gary Roberts in ca has a nice one there is some pretty major engine damage but the parts are out there otherwise I have looked at the car myself and it is in decent shape for around 14,000
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Matt,

There are always Ferraris without engines floating about, but often the reason for this is they will never make your money back! They're pretty neat cars, and still have that Italian excitement. There's great support for them over the internet, and not too hard to work on.

I, unfortunately, have been hooked by the lures of a V-12 engine, and when that happens, there's no cure!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Matt,

There are always Ferraris without engines floating about, but often the reason for this is they will never make your money back! They're pretty neat cars, and still have that Italian excitement. There's great support for them over the internet, and not too hard to work on.

I, unfortunately, have been hooked by the lures of a V-12 engine, and when that happens, there's no cure!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Matt,

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Zac,

I spoke with Garry Roberts yesterday on the phone! He seemed like a very nice man. My younger Brother lives about 15 minutes away from Garry Roberts in beautiful Aliso Viejo. Unfortunately, my Brother doesn't know much about cars at all. Zac, could you kind of give me the low down on this thing? Before I just jump on a plane and fly out there, I want to make sure it's worth the hassle. Any advise, or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you very much for the lead. It is good to hear that the car is decent. It was advertised for 15,000. has the price been reduced on this thing to 14K?

Thanks!!!!!

Matt

P.S. Spent last night changing oil on friends 911 Carrera. That thing takes twice as much oil as my V10 Ram!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Zac,

I spoke with Garry Roberts yesterday on the phone! He seemed like a very nice man. My younger Brother lives about 15 minutes away from Garry Roberts in beautiful Aliso Viejo. Unfortunately, my Brother doesn't know much about cars at all. Zac, could you kind of give me the low down on this thing? Before I just jump on a plane and fly out there, I want to make sure it's worth the hassle. Any advise, or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you very much for the lead. It is good to hear that the car is decent. It was advertised for 15,000. has the price been reduced on this thing to 14K?

Thanks!!!!!

Matt

P.S. Spent last night changing oil on friends 911 Carrera. That thing takes twice as much oil as my V10 Ram!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Zac,

Thanks!!!!!

Matt

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Matt

Zac,

Thanks!!!!!

Matt

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Matt all let me start off by saying the car is no show winner. the engine has had a pretty major melt down one piston is damaged from dropping a valve and the heads are missing. this also means that the carberatos and manifold etc. are missing.
I don't know if Gary sent you the pictures of the car but it looks O.K. paint is faded the interior is decent somone has put a second a.c. unit in the rear not original but a pretty o.k. job. I was looking at the car for a full restoration project and there was to many missing and or altered items to make it worth my wild. I myself am a retorer of mostly 1960-1970 Ferrari and have seen almost all the parts needed to fix the engine. I like the others would hate to see this car chopped and turned into a v-8 transplant. let me just add that if you want a fun fast car with v-8 you could get a very nice one for that amount of money. I think that once you drive a nice running V12 you'll see what make a Ferrari a Ferrari. if you have the time and PATIENCE you could have yourself a good car and if you put the money into keeping it as original as possible you wont't completely loose your ass when you go to sell the car. let me know if you have any further questions or if you decide to buy the car.

Zac
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by zac

Matt all let me start off by saying the car is no show winner. the engine has had a pretty major melt down one piston is damaged from dropping a valve and the heads are missing. this also means that the carberatos and manifold etc. are missing.
I don't know if Gary sent you the pictures of the car but it looks O.K. paint is faded the interior is decent somone has put a second a.c. unit in the rear not original but a pretty o.k. job. I was looking at the car for a full restoration project and there was to many missing and or altered items to make it worth my wild. I myself am a retorer of mostly 1960-1970 Ferrari and have seen almost all the parts needed to fix the engine. I like the others would hate to see this car chopped and turned into a v-8 transplant. let me just add that if you want a fun fast car with v-8 you could get a very nice one for that amount of money. I think that once you drive a nice running V12 you'll see what make a Ferrari a Ferrari. if you have the time and PATIENCE you could have yourself a good car and if you put the money into keeping it as original as possible you wont't completely loose your ass when you go to sell the car. let me know if you have any further questions or if you decide to buy the car.

Zac