Welcome to the WWW Board

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Re: The 2+2 Slaughter!

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Bryan and Tony,

That site is pretty amazing. Just one shop has faked over 15% of the world's original GTOs. I would definitely agree with FML that there are more fake GTOs than real ones!

I'm a little guilty of this where I changed the body of my 911 to RS specs, but I felt, at the time, there were plenty of 911s around, and modifying mine was not destroying a rare car. With only a few hundred examples of each Ferrari model around, I feel we should work hard at preserving them as opposed to making it someting it was not!

Imagine a day when real GTO and SWB owners will be accused of driving a fake just like most 427 Cobra owners!

Tom
wwwboard

Re: Reproduction Ferrari Manuals

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Rick

I just purchased a 1984 Ferrari 308 gtsi QV.  My first Ferrari.  I noticed this site and saw that Bill had asked where he could get a reproduction owners manual.  I would like to purchase an owners manual and parts book.  I have a european model.  Any suggestions?  What should be the average prices for these?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Hey Yo, Have you seen this months Classic and Sport Car. Good ole 330GT 6477 is pictured in the back in the guise of a 330 GTO. Course it don't have no 5 gears (only 4 with overdrive in the early 330's), No six carbs either (only three came with this baby). And the article goes on to mention a bit of rust. Can be yours though for a mere 125,000 (U.K. Pounds), mate.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

Hey Yo, Have you seen this months Classic and Sport Car. Good ole 330GT 6477 is pictured in the back in the guise of a 330 GTO. Course it don't have no 5 gears (only 4 with overdrive in the early 330's), No six carbs either (only three came with this baby). And the article goes on to mention a bit of rust. Can be yours though for a mere 125,000 (U.K. Pounds), mate.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Yale

wwwboard

Re: Trim Color

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Wolfgang

Tony...on the off chance that you haven't solved the mystery of this trim strip already, it did come on all GTE's and Americas, even though it is apparently not listed in the Pininfarina "Listino Parti Ricambio"--the parts list for the cars (or if it is--I'm too blind to see it!)It runs the bottom length of the rockers on each side and essentially disguises the fact that the GTE floors are "false" in the sense that they are a sandwich almost 1 inch thick, comprising a top and bottom sheet separated by fiberglass heat and sound insulation which largely hangs below the bottom of the rocker sill. If you do not have this "finisher" strip on the car, you will be staring at part of the side of this sandwhich--which would probably just be painted black. The proper finish for these peices is probably simply polished, as they are aluminum. I have seen several chromed, but this really attracts the eye to the bottom of the rocker panel, which I suspect was not Sergio's intention. They are definitely not correct painted body colour. Wolfgang
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tony

Wolfgang,
Thank you for your tip on the trim. I carefully stripped the paint and found that the first color was semi gloss black. I agree with you that they were made to hide the floors and with that in mind I guess I will paint them semi gloss black which should make them be almost invisible. The car is painted this week and I am excited to see the end result.
When it is back in my garage for assembly I hope to post a picture.
Tony
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Wolfgang

Tony...I envy you your anticipation at such a momentous point in your restoration...I am so far away from paint work on my car that it seems merely a concept and not even a distant reality!Before you throw on the gloss black--and I have no doubt that it will accomplish the desired effect of visually reducing the vast "flank" of the side panels--you may, if originality is any concern, wish to determine if some previous owner sprayed on the gloss black over an original aluminum finish. If the factory painted an aluminum finisher strip it would have used a dull pea green/yellowish airplane type aluminum primer underneath the paint and the aluminum surface would be unfinished and not at all polished. If, on the other hand, the aluminum under the gloss black is smooth and shiny--with no signs of yellowish primer, then you can be pretty sure that the factory did not put the gloss black down over a piece intended to be polished aluminum. I have seen a number of full GTE restorations that simply left the peice off altogether--painting the underlying seam body colour--if you don't own a car, or don't have another one next to it, you'd never know the difference! Either way--you are entitled to excercize whatever poetic liscence you desire in the completion of your restoration--as it is only your joy in looking at and using the car that matters in the end result!!

On the same basis, I absolutely refuse to put the original burgundy coloured wilton carpet back into my car, as combined with its black interior and silver exterior the effect is very much that of a swinging 60's gentlemen's smoking club--the playboy lounge no less! No, I'm going to install conservative and understated silver wilton to match the exterior and interior metal trim panels--if I can ever find the right colour carpet!! Originality be damned!(Of course I intend to keep a sample of the tatty original burgundy against the day that I no longer harbour these "rebelious" ideas!) Good luck with the paint job--we all look forward to pictures!! Wolfgang &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Wolfgang

Tony...I envy you your anticipation at such a momentous point in your restoration...I am so far away from paint work on my car that it seems merely a concept and not even a distant reality!Before you throw on the gloss black--and I have no doubt that it will accomplish the desired effect of visually reducing the vast "flank" of the side panels--you may, if originality is any concern, wish to determine if some previous owner sprayed on the gloss black over an original aluminum finish. If the factory painted an aluminum finisher strip it would have used a dull pea green/yellowish airplane type aluminum primer underneath the paint and the aluminum surface would be unfinished and not at all polished. If, on the other hand, the aluminum under the gloss black is smooth and shiny--with no signs of yellowish primer, then you can be pretty sure that the factory did not put the gloss black down over a piece intended to be polished aluminum. I have seen a number of full GTE restorations that simply left the peice off altogether--painting the underlying seam body colour--if you don't own a car, or don't have another one next to it, you'd never know the difference! Either way--you are entitled to excercize whatever poetic liscence you desire in the completion of your restoration--as it is only your joy in looking at and using the car that matters in the end result!!

On the same basis, I absolutely refuse to put the original burgundy coloured wilton carpet back into my car, as combined with its black interior and silver exterior the effect is very much that of a swinging 60's gentlemen's smoking club--the playboy lounge no less! No, I'm going to install conservative and understated silver wilton to match the exterior and interior metal trim panels--if I can ever find the right colour carpet!! Originality be damned!(Of course I intend to keep a sample of the tatty original burgundy against the day that I no longer harbour these "rebelious" ideas!) Good luck with the paint job--we all look forward to pictures!! Wolfgang &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by rand anderson

Help !!! Noticed your e-mail and ad for finesportscars.com in Autoweek. Tried and tried to get finesportscars.com with no results. Know where I can contact them????..Aprreciate any info. Thanks
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by rand anderson

Help !!! Noticed your e-mail and ad for finesportscars.com in Autoweek. Tried and tried to get finesportscars.com with no results. Know where I can contact them????..Aprreciate any info. Thanks
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by rand anderson

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Sorry,

I don't know anything about these guys. Are you looking to save a GTE?

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Sorry,

I don't know anything about these guys. Are you looking to save a GTE?

Tom