Cotter pins

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Cotter pins

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Mike

I don't think you're being anal -putting an inferior finish on a part because that's the way it came from the factory is anal (like not using modern paints on chassis parts). I like the way you bend the cotter pins -it keeps the ends tidy, probably has some functional benefit. I'll probably do it that way myself, now.

From the end of previous message thread -you're right about rust. I'd forgotten the lace-like chassis tubes from my previous Gordon Keeble prior to restoration. But it's nice to have a fibreglass body -even if that brings its own problems.

I'l never forget a friend's Alfa spyder. It was five years old when he dinged a fender. When he took the outer panel off, all the inner wing was (had been) bare metal, and you could poke your finger right through it to the footwell. 70's Italian steel was the worst!

wwwboard

Re: Cotter pins

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

I like the way Ferraris are detailed. Many of the techniques come directly from racing. I'm sure somewhere in racing history there's a place where a cotter pin failed, and the mechanics discovered this method to be the most reliable.