Wheel Restoration

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Wheel Restoration

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tony

Tom,
Did you send your wheels out to be restored yet?
Can you recomend one? There are a few peole out there none of which I have any history.
I saw that you had some problems painting the cam covers. I spoke to my powder coat guy today and he said that he could powder coat in the correct wrinkle finish. His prices are very reasonable and I found that powder coating looks and wears great. Any thoughts?
I removed my dash the other day and I noticed that the air ducts have shut off doors. I am missing the levers do you have any idea what they look like?
Thanks and keep up the good work.
Tony
wwwboard

Re: Wheel Restoration

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Tony,

My wire wheels are already redone. One set were on the car, and pretty crappy, while another set remain in the boxes from the restorer. The name on the box (restoreed in the 80s?) doesn't look like they're around anymore, but I can see if I can find a good shop to do the work for you.

I would ask for samples of the powder coat wrinkle finish before going with them. Most of the "correct" wrinkle finishes are pretty coarse looking. I would make sure your powder coater can replicate this look. "Wurth," the German paint makes a good wrinkle paint, but I wouldn't do ANY wrinkle painting until the weather warms up. Your parts have to be warm for the wrinkle paint to work well when spray painting.

These ducts you're talking about, are they the small round ones with flapper doors that shut the air flowing through them? The doors have a threaded rod that runs through the axis of the door?

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tony

Tom,
Those are the threaded rods that do not have any levers on them. They do control the air flow through the vents. Do you know what the levers look like?
Did you find the window crank bezels? I need one ouside piece. While I am on the subject do you what the clip tha holds the crank on is like I am missing both of them.
Thanks for checking on a wheel restorer for me. I need a wheel for my spare tire. Would you be interested in selling one of your extra wheels?
Tony
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tony

Tom,
Those are the threaded rods that do not have any levers on them. They do control the air flow through the vents. Do you know what the levers look like?
Did you find the window crank bezels? I need one ouside piece. While I am on the subject do you what the clip tha holds the crank on is like I am missing both of them.
Thanks for checking on a wheel restorer for me. I need a wheel for my spare tire. Would you be interested in selling one of your extra wheels?
Tony
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

The knobs for those vents are flattened triangular shaped black plastic knobs with a threaded insert at one point of the triangle. They thread into the threaded shaft, and open the vent by turning the shaft.

I can certainly sell you one of my wheels for a spare, but I need to warn you, they're in rough shape! I'll need them for a few more months until I get my upholstery done. I'll take some pictures of the best one when I get a chance.

I haven't gotten to the window crank levers, but I'll check what parts I have, and no, I haven't really been looking for the bezels.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

The knobs for those vents are flattened triangular shaped black plastic knobs with a threaded insert at one point of the triangle. They thread into the threaded shaft, and open the vent by turning the shaft.

I can certainly sell you one of my wheels for a spare, but I need to warn you, they're in rough shape! I'll need them for a few more months until I get my upholstery done. I'll take some pictures of the best one when I get a chance.

I haven't gotten to the window crank levers, but I'll check what parts I have, and no, I haven't really been looking for the bezels.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Tony,

I took a piture of the knob you're looking for.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Tony,

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Tony,