Wrinkle finish black paint

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Wrinkle finish black paint

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

Does anyone out there have a suggestion for the brand name of a black wrinkle-finish paint?  I need something that will work on the top surface of my header heat shields - the aluminum shields that fit next to the engine, above the exhaust header pipes on a 330.

I think I'll paint their bottom surfaces in heat-resistant bright metallic, rather than the dull black they are currently.  Or maybe polish them a bit. This won't be visible, and will reflect more heat away.
wwwboard

Re: Wrinkle finish black paint

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Deane,

I bought "Eastwood's" wrinkle paint, and was not too satisfied. It didn't wrinkle into a nice coarse finish, but instead wrinkled into a very fine texture with some spots not wrinkling at all. Temperature, and I'm guessing humidity, could affect how well this paint works, but when I tried using it on different days, the results were the same.

I've seen a good wrinkle finish from German made Wurth paints, but finding a supplier can be difficult.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

The folks who originally restored my car (GT Motors in CA) use Plasti-Kote black wrinkle 217.  Plasti-Kote's web site says to do things on a warm day, heating the parts to 90F with a blow drier if necessary.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

The folks who originally restored my car (GT Motors in CA) use Plasti-Kote black wrinkle 217.  Plasti-Kote's web site says to do things on a warm day, heating the parts to 90F with a blow drier if necessary.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

I painted the heat sheilds on my 400 with wrinkle finish that I bought in the UK at an autojumble (made by 'Carplan'). It works OK but, as you say, is very sensitive to being applied at the right temperature. I first did it on a cool day and it was awful. I later repainted the peices when they had been left in the sun (we do get some in England) and become almost hot to the touch. The paint wrinkled beautifully. It seems to be holding up OK on the car.

By the way the underside of these sheilds on my 400 are plain aluminium, not painted at all, but as you say they are not at all visible once on the car - even less so on a 400 with it's triple sidedraft Webers per bank and it's huge air filter boxes.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

I painted the heat sheilds on my 400 with wrinkle finish that I bought in the UK at an autojumble (made by 'Carplan'). It works OK but, as you say, is very sensitive to being applied at the right temperature. I first did it on a cool day and it was awful. I later repainted the peices when they had been left in the sun (we do get some in England) and become almost hot to the touch. The paint wrinkled beautifully. It seems to be holding up OK on the car.

By the way the underside of these sheilds on my 400 are plain aluminium, not painted at all, but as you say they are not at all visible once on the car - even less so on a 400 with it's triple sidedraft Webers per bank and it's huge air filter boxes.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Simon Campbell

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

I read some postings in an antique radio group about 1)waiting until your wife leaves the house, then 2) warming the pieces to be wrinkle coated in the oven at low temperature, which assists the wrinkle.

They went on to suggest drying the paint in the oven (if it's not a gas oven!), but I'm leery of coating the inside of my oven with isocyanates, etc.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

I read some postings in an antique radio group about 1)waiting until your wife leaves the house, then 2) warming the pieces to be wrinkle coated in the oven at low temperature, which assists the wrinkle.

They went on to suggest drying the paint in the oven (if it's not a gas oven!), but I'm leery of coating the inside of my oven with isocyanates, etc.

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Deane Gardner

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan

I just talked to a rep from carcareonline.com who claim to be the largest distributor of Wurth products in the US.  He says that Wurth stopped importing the wrinkle paint several years ago because of EPA's issues with certain ingredients.  
So it looks like the Plasti-Kote is probably the way to go . ..
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan

I just talked to a rep from carcareonline.com who claim to be the largest distributor of Wurth products in the US.  He says that Wurth stopped importing the wrinkle paint several years ago because of EPA's issues with certain ingredients.  
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan