Buying a Ferrari

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Buying a Ferrari

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Sam

I am researchiing models and was wondering what the pros and cons and things to look for for either a 308/328 or 400i. Thanks
wwwboard

Re: Buying a Ferrari

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Sam,

First of all, 308/328s and 400Is are like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing they have in common is their price range. You first need to decide what you really want, and go from there. The 400 is a four seat (2+2) coupe, with a V-12, and is often considered a high speed cruiser. The 308/328s are smaller 2-seat sports cars with a V-8 engine, often having a "boy racer" image.

Once you can decide generally which model you'd prefer, then we can help you begin your search for that car.

Good luck.

Tom &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Sam

I like both models. I am wondering which model would be preferable in terms of reliability and repair parts availablity. In addition, I have read commentary concerning the 308 not being percieved as a "real" Ferrari. I wouldn't want to be the bastard child of a Ferrari club because I didn't own a "real" Ferarri. I do like the 400i due to the back seats (read kids) but am concerned with parts availability due to the realitive scarcity of this model when compared to the 308. Your thoughts?
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Sam,

Francois, my mechanic, would probably want to work on a 308 before touching a 400, but then again, he'd really rather work on even older cars!

If you've ever looked under the hood of a 400, especially a fuel injected version, you'd understand why people don't want to work on these things. Parts are extreemly scarce for these cars, so parts are even more expensive. Remember, we're talking about Ferraris where distributor caps normally cost about $200 bucks each, and it takes two per car, V-8 or V-12!

There will always be opinions on V-8s versus V-12s, but both are fun cars in their own way. I, personally, like the V-12s because of the great sounds they make, and the fact that Enzo Ferrari built his whole company around that design. Remember, you'll always be accepted by your own kind, and who cares what people think!!

If you like the 2+2 feature of the 400i, but are concerned about the parts availablity, have you looked at a 308GT/4? It has a Ferrari V-8, and 2+2 seating. Just a thought.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Sam,

Francois, my mechanic, would probably want to work on a 308 before touching a 400, but then again, he'd really rather work on even older cars!

If you've ever looked under the hood of a 400, especially a fuel injected version, you'd understand why people don't want to work on these things. Parts are extreemly scarce for these cars, so parts are even more expensive. Remember, we're talking about Ferraris where distributor caps normally cost about $200 bucks each, and it takes two per car, V-8 or V-12!

There will always be opinions on V-8s versus V-12s, but both are fun cars in their own way. I, personally, like the V-12s because of the great sounds they make, and the fact that Enzo Ferrari built his whole company around that design. Remember, you'll always be accepted by your own kind, and who cares what people think!!

If you like the 2+2 feature of the 400i, but are concerned about the parts availablity, have you looked at a 308GT/4? It has a Ferrari V-8, and 2+2 seating. Just a thought.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Sam

Points well taken. I am not attracted to the design of the GT/4. It's not Bertone's fault, just preference. Now, just a little more brain picking...I understand that most Ferrari owners would never consider what I am considering which is driving my Ferrari DAILY...(gasp). Savie for rainy days and snow, I would use it like any other car. Is the reason why most don't drive these cars in this manner due to the cost of maintenance/parts? How much do you drive yours?

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Sam

Points well taken. I am not attracted to the design of the GT/4. It's not Bertone's fault, just preference. Now, just a little more brain picking...I understand that most Ferrari owners would never consider what I am considering which is driving my Ferrari DAILY...(gasp). Savie for rainy days and snow, I would use it like any other car. Is the reason why most don't drive these cars in this manner due to the cost of maintenance/parts? How much do you drive yours?

wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Sam,

I don't drive my car because it's still all in pieces! Thanks for reminding me!! :-)

But seriously, I think Ferrari owners put so few miles on their cars for both reasons of expense, and reliability. It's actually a catch-22. Drive the car infrequently, and you'll have problems, drive it a lot, and things will break, which brings us to the problem with the pricey parts.

People do drive Ferraris on a regular basis, and I'm sure you can do it. Just be prepared to fix what breaks.

Tom

P.S. Another piece of advice...Find a mechanic you can trust to work on your Ferrari. There are a lot of sharks out there waiting to prey on Ferrari owners that are preceived to have more money than sense!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Sam,

I don't drive my car because it's still all in pieces! Thanks for reminding me!! :-)

But seriously, I think Ferrari owners put so few miles on their cars for both reasons of expense, and reliability. It's actually a catch-22. Drive the car infrequently, and you'll have problems, drive it a lot, and things will break, which brings us to the problem with the pricey parts.

People do drive Ferraris on a regular basis, and I'm sure you can do it. Just be prepared to fix what breaks.

Tom

P.S. Another piece of advice...Find a mechanic you can trust to work on your Ferrari. There are a lot of sharks out there waiting to prey on Ferrari owners that are preceived to have more money than sense!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John

Rather than being the bastard child with a 308 at a club meet, I think you'll find yourself in good (or at least ample) company.  My experience with FCA and FOC gatherings is that the 308s and 328s far outnumber any other model present, and in more than a few cases they outnumber all of the other cars combined!  Don't expect the owner of that Tour de France to linger longingly over your car, but on the other hand, he'll probably be more than happy to give you the time of day as a fellow enthusiast... and to give you a tour of his car if you ask nicely...
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John

Rather than being the bastard child with a 308 at a club meet, I think you'll find yourself in good (or at least ample) company.  My experience with FCA and FOC gatherings is that the 308s and 328s far outnumber any other model present, and in more than a few cases they outnumber all of the other cars combined!  Don't expect the owner of that Tour de France to linger longingly over your car, but on the other hand, he'll probably be more than happy to give you the time of day as a fellow enthusiast... and to give you a tour of his car if you ask nicely...