LUSSO

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

LUSSO

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Drew

any thoughts on the lusso for sale on ebay, how extensive do you think the restoration could be?  &nbsp
lusso on ebay
wwwboard

Re: LUSSO

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Drew,

Run, don't walk, away! Rumor has it that the seller is looking for more than $70k for that car. Considering an engine rebuild for that car will cost $15K even with the heads done, the bodywork for at least $10K, carpeting, and probably leather for the interior for another $5-10K, and you'll easily be in it over $100K and that's not including the inevitable incidentals that will run into the thousands! There's a reason why it's not the first time that car has been on e-bay. Look back on this message board, and you'll see the last time that car was listed!

I've seen Lussos that are running and driving for about $130K that may be had for $110-$120K, which sounds like a ton of money (which it is for us working stiffs!), but when you consider what it would cost to restore that wreck, it begins to sound like a bargain!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Oh Yeah,

What about the chrome? Can you see how rusty the front bumper is? If that's any indication of the rest of the chrome, you'll need to re-chrome EVERYTHING! If things are not rusted out beyond repair, good work chrome work will cost several thousand dollars as well!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Campbell

A complete ground up restored Lusso just sold locally for around $120000. This car placed in the top 3 at a recent National FCA meet. My advice is to keep running.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Drew

appreciated....thanks for saving me from that mess!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John

Peter Sweeney in CT has a not-concours-but-nice red Lusso with a gorgeous original red interior for $128k.  He's had it for awhile so he may be willing to do a deal.  This is the kind of car that would do anyone proud after spending a couple $K on detailing and details.  There's a silver one out in CA in similar condition -- soemwhat better-looking engine compartment, worse interior -- for a similar price.  Spending $70k - $80k for a barn find and another $60k or more to make it right seems crazy to me.

There are pix of Peter Sweeney's car at http://www.forza.weblobby.com

I have no affiliation, etc...
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

...and if you need any justification in spending that kind of money, Lussos are at about as cheap as they'll get, and what else are you going to tie up your money in? The Stock Market?!?...now if I only had that kind of money!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Scott

If you tracked the bidding (post auction where bids are shown) on this Lusso the last time it was at auction it bumped up from the $70,000 level to the fianl selling bid at $90,000 all due to one bidder taking it from $70m to $90m. Afterward the guy apparently reneged. Makes you think there might be some funny business going on! &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

This is at least the second time this car has been auctioned on E-bay, and I don't think this car is getting the money the owner wants. It's too bad because this car will only continue to languish until either the owner becomes realistic with his asking price, or the market gets high enough to make a restoration a reasonable endeavor!

Obviously the owner wants something around $90K for this car, but since decent running and driving Lussos can be had for $130K, the $40K difference will never restore that car!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Bidding closed this time at $75,100 dollars and the reserve was not met. I guess it will continue to live in that chicken coup!

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Nick

Always felt the Lusso was just gorgeous, so I bought one from Shelton a few months ago.  It had a ground-up mega-buck restoration in 1988 while in Japan.  No expense was spared.  The design of the car is breathtaking.  The price -- at the high end of the Lusso market -- makes the 355's and 360's look foolish at their prices.  For what I got, I feel I cheated someone!  &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Paul Schwartz

How easy is is to locate original tools for a tool roll that is ~60% complete.  Do other tools from other Ferraris cross over to this kit?  Is there some one who sells original tools?
Thanks,Paul
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Paul,

It depends what's missing. Look at my tool kit section found in the tips section.

Most 250s from the same year have identical kits, so you can pick from GTEs as a source.

Tom

Ferrari Tools