330 2+2 restoration

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

330 2+2 restoration

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Beat Walti

Hello America
I just got my first V12, a wonderful two owner 330 GT twin headlight. It's totally original and in very good shape indeed but it's a bit tired and has the wrong color (rosso corsa, YUCK!)
In short, I'm in for a complete restoration which should be pretty straightforeward since nothing is missing and everything is in decent shape. The car never had any welding done and the only spot of light corrosion is at the rear left sill. It's great to remove panels and covers that have never been opened for 35 years and finding everithing in its right place and in mostly working order.
Questions:
Who makes original decals for oil filters ,coils, wire wheels etc.?
who knows of good products to rejuvenate leather? I don't want to replace it. it's just too good to throw out.
Who knows about stainless steel exhaust systems. Which ones are true free flow and produce the best sound?
  Who has a nice chrome oval or octagonal speaker blind in chrome. I have a very good sixties becker radio and just want one speaker in the middle console.
Does anyone out there have a set of perfect lock nuts for the wire wheels? mine look a bit banged up.
Thanks for any help.

wwwboard

Re: 330 2+2 restoration

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Beat,

Congratulations on your purchase!

Do you need sources outside of the US? Most of my contacts are in the US, but may be able to find some people elsewhere.

Parker Hall at Kilimanjaro Designs in Mississippi Tel. (601-638-7856 should have many of the stickers you'll need.

Lexol is pretty good for leather, but I hear there are other products people swear by, but can't recall what they are. Perhaps there are other people reading along that can help.

http://www.timevalve.com/ has SS exhausts for yout car, but I don't have any owner testamonials. T'aint cheap, so I would try to find owner experiences before buying!

I believe the lock nuts for the wheels are reproduced by the usual suspects. Check my links pages for sources.

Hope this helps for a start. Let us know how you make out.

Tom
P.S. As you can see, mine is painted Corsa Rosa as well (not my first choice). Some day, I'll return it to its original dark red color!
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Beat

Dear Tom
Thanks for speedy reply. Adresses in Europe preferable but anything appreciated.Didn't intend to offend anyone about the color. Rosso Corsa is great on some Ferraris but not all of them. Will keep you updated on restoration progress.
Best wishes, Beat
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by John

Leatherique (http://www.leatherique.com) is the best stuff going for rejuvinating Connolly hides.  I know legions of Ferrari, Rolls, Jag, and Aston folk who swear by the stuff, and it saved me about $5k worth of recovering on my Aston's interior.  Highly recommended, and they are a small family business so they will give you personal service and advice for the asking.  

Stay away from Lexol on Connolly, it leaves a greasy armor-all type finish. It's fine for the stiffer German leather (like in a BMW or Porsche) but Connolly really wants something more natural.