Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Andrew

Growing up I always dreamed of owning an exotic car.  Then, in my early 20's, Magnum, P.I. came on TV and I found the car that just spoke to me. I believe the car to be a Ferrari 308 GTS although others have argued with me that it is a 308 GTB.  I am guessing there was a new car given to the show each year to be used.  I am now in a position to buy a used 308 and I never, ever thought I would.  I guess I never imagined myself obtaining an MBA and having a job like I do.  My question is I live 1 1/2 miles off a paved road and the 1 1/2 miles of dirt road is quite washboarded.  Am I setting myself up for trouble if I actually make a purchase?  I am wanting this car because I feel I deserve it and it is one of my two dream cars: the other is a 1963 Chevy Impala SS Covertible with the 409/425 4 speed.  Any info, correction (year and make of the Ferrari in the TV show) or discussion is appreciated.  Thanks.
Andrew
Albuquerque, NM
wwwboard

Re: 308

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Hi Andrew,

I'm glad to hear about you chasing your dreams!

1 1/2 miles on a dirt road in a Ferrari may do more damamge to your kidneys than your car! If you go slow, I can't imagine you breaking anything. I would be concerned more about the dust geting into everything though. Air filters would need to be changed often. The ground clearence could also be a problem if the road develops ruts.

Years ago my sister had a gravel/dirt driveway that would get deeply rutted, and her 911 would have to drive on the crown of the road to get out until we could get the driveway scraped.  

Good luck with your search.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Bryan P

Andrew - Magnum drove a 308GTS (easier to film an actor in a spyder than in a berlinetta I suppose).  If the 308 is your car, then you have a lot of homework to do because the 308s offer you a lot of options, i.e. carbureted vs. fuel injected, steel bodied vs. fiberglass, GTS vs. GTB, 2-valve vs. 4-valve, etc.  You should get a very comprehensive survey book on the 308 (and the 246 Dino and 328) by A. Henry - it's $20 on motorbooks.com.  There is also an online discussion site loaded w/ 308 people called ferrarichat.com (I think).  Somewhere in this discussion forum there is a thread that includes a very good 'how to buy a Ferrari'primer.  There are a lot of really nice as well as really rough 308s out there (and some 'customized' ones), so be careful.  You're in a great state to own a Ferrari with those 75mph speed limits! &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tony

Hi Andrew,
I have owned several 308's. They are great fun.
If you buy a good car then the up-keep is very reasonable. The cars are very streetable and fun. I agree with the others that you need a buyers guide.
It will be a very helpful tool.
Good luck and be careful to purchase a good car.
Tony
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tony

Hi Andrew,
I have owned several 308's. They are great fun.
If you buy a good car then the up-keep is very reasonable. The cars are very streetable and fun. I agree with the others that you need a buyers guide.
It will be a very helpful tool.
Good luck and be careful to purchase a good car.
Tony