Dino 246 GTS

Ferrari Message Board Archive 10/00-8/02
wwwboard

Dino 246 GTS

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Steven Solomon

Can anyone help with any information on common problems with the Dino 246 GTS? I recently saw a restored 1974 at a local dealer (Westchester County, NY) that I fell in love with, and the price seems to be right ($79,000) according to Ferrari Marlet Letter. I know very little about Ferraris, and need to know if there is anything specific to look out for. Thanks
wwwboard

Re: Dino 246 GTS

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Drew Altemara

I had a 246GT for over 5 years and really enjoyed the car.  They are not the quickest cars in the world but they sure sound and look great.  Before I purchased mine I looked at several that had 2nd gear syncro problems.  In fact mine eventually developed this problem and I really babied the car.  There are some what like 308's in this regard.  Aside form that, and being somewhat rust prone I think the cars are a lot of fun to drive.  Good luck. &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tom

Steven,

Get a pre-purchase inspection by a third party mechanic. For that kind of money, it should be in near perfect condition. E-mail privately if you need help finding a mechanic to inspect the car.

The 246GTS is a not a fast car (0-60), but is perfectly balanced to drive the back roads, and will cruise at 85 all day, not to mention having all the right looks and noises of a sports car!

Good luck.

Tom
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Dennis Williams

Just happened to this site while searching for Weber carburetor tuning information.

I restored a 1972 Ferrari Dino 246GTS (SN 03762).  For the money you are paying (slightly lower than the Ferrar Market Letter average price of $82K) you should be getting a mechically good car which is rust free and well maintained.  Make sure you get all the tools, jack, books and spare tire hold down.  These latter items are very expensive to replace on the open market.

Have the car checked out by a competent Ferrari dealer or mechanic.  There is a tendency for rust on the lower door panels, floor and trunk areas.

The car should perform well if in good mechanical condition and maintained by a good mechanic.  It doen't take much maintenance if done on a regular basis -- maybe once a year if driven less than 5K mi.  The car is not terribly fast (0-60 in about 7 sec with 150 mph top speed) but they are a blast to own and drive.

Good Luck,

Dennis &nbsp
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by Tim Rogers

Just staring to aquire knowledge on the 246 gts.  Is it powered by a Renault engine ?  I was told this recently and am quite curious as to the truth.  Where can I find performance data on the gts ?  Any help is appreciated.
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by gil

Wanted: Ferraris and other exotic cars
ferrari dealer
wwwboard

Post by wwwboard »

Posted by gil

Wanted: Ferraris and other exotic cars
ferrari dealer